Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T Luxury, '97 V6 Camaro
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could all you guys who have seen bad pistons or blown motors on the 2.0T please post to this thread along with your build date? It would be interesting to know if you are/were tuned, but I don't think that info necessarily needs to be shared (especially if you are concerned about "privacy").

There are a lot of assertions what GM did or did not do and when. Let's try to generate some facts! GM is not sharing their data yet, but I think this community is large enough where we can start compiling some data of our own.

Who wants to go first?

·
Registered
POS 2.0T 3 blown motors
244 Posts
i just started a list with a list of members i found that reported failures. (i posted a link to this list in the CTS section so they can add their failures and info to this list)

of course i dont have build dates of other member cars, and mine is at dealer so i cant look

TSB for piston failure *PI-1178

List updated 2015-01-05 per smurfkiller

1. smurfkiller 4700 2014 ATS ??/?? #3 replaced 2nd engine blew at 69xx miles
2. 400hpATS 4213 2013 ATS ??/?? #3 warranty would not cover, building aftermarket 800+hp engine
3. caleb bennett ???? 2014 ATS ??/?? #4 repaired
4. byrce2.0t 15000 2013 ATS ??/?? #1&4 repaired
5. shortfur7 5200 2014 ATS ??/?? #3&4 repaired
6. soop3rn0t 6800 2014 ATS 07/13 #4 repaired
7. calicts 9000 ???? CTS ??/?? #1 repaired
8. romanats 20000 2013 ATS ??/?? #3 replaced
9. ElanX 3700? 2014 ATS ??/?? ? repaired (from the other thread this looks like it was injector failed and blew a hole in the piston, maybe not the same type of failure?)
10. Shooter2384 5k miles 2014 ATS ??/?? ? repaired
11. chrisgarner ???? 2014 ATS ??/?? ? replaced
12. Skenny50 6000 ???? ATS ??/?? #4 replaced
13. DB_Outlaw 12000 ???? ATS ??/?? #1 repaired, he sold car then new owner possibly had to have engine replacement
14. Firepower ATS 9000 2014 CTS 09/13 #1 repaired
15. TheRival 5500 2014 ATS 02/2014 #4 replaced
16. parker133t 17000 2013 ATS ??/?? #4 repaired
17. pnm215 20000 2013 ATS ??/?? ? repaired
18. SmurfettesCaddy 16000 2013 ATS ??/?? ? repaired?
19. lemons1843 22000 2013 ATS ??/?? ? repaired?
20. LChris24 40,000 miles 2013 ATS
21. Dolvich 2013 ATS 6700miles #2 cyl failure pistons replaced
22. RemaxAL 2013 ATS 27,000 miles
23. ilovejuicysteak Ats 6700 miles
24. Macvanglist 2013 ATS 6m
25. FDNY-L107 2013 ATS 38k miles
26. GoofyGoober 2013 ATS 34,5k miles #3 cyl failure pistons replaced
27. Darren67 2014 ATS #4 cyl failure
28. Dpelow07 24k miles #4 cyl failure
29. Smurfkiller (loaner car) 2014 CTS 3500 miles engine replacement

----------

ok so this is getting ridiculous. my car is at dealer currently. they are installing a entire new long block.

we need to start a list of members who have had piston failures so we can keep track of build dates, gas used etc.

my car is at dealer so i cant currently get build date.

fuel other than first tank dealer stupidly filled with 87. (they dont care its cheaper) i only use 93 octane from shell or marathon. & never fill up when i see the tanker there stirring up all the trash in the tanks.

my car is a 2014 i purchased 4 months ago with 3 miles on it. car went back at 16xx miles for Human interface module replacement (CUE) . car currently has 47xx miles. at 1626 miles i changed the oil and filter AC Delco filter Mobil 1 5w30 oil.

symptoms were: service traction & stablitrac message, rough idle, lots of burnt oil smoke out of exhaust, loss of power & CEL for misfires in CYL #3.

i did not do a compression test. i just had car towed to dealer. (my service writer is kinda dumb so i couldnt get any answers from him on what tests they did) mine is the first failure they have seen at my dealer. my service writer said "Might be low on oil" LOL. i didnt tell him i work at a shop and consistently build 1000+ hp cars. and have been working on cars & building engines for 20+ yrs.

talking a with guy on FB in the CTS-V pages he is a tech at a caddy dealer, he claims in the past few months he has personally repaired 8 cars with failures of 2.0t pistons. he claims #3 seems to be most common but most engines have failures on multiple cylinders. most recent engine he was doing and posting pics of had failures in cyl #1,3 & 4.

yes of course my dealer is fixing car under warranty and gave me a loaner car, but this issue seems to be far worse then just a bad batch of pistons. i understand a batch of pistons could be 1000+ but we need to keep track of info so we can know what cars might be affected. (for resell and potential buyers in the future)

when i get my car back i will post build date VIN whatever so we can try to figure out a window for affected cars. that to say the 2015s dont end up having failures as well.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
I'd also request users post their approximate miles at failure, which cylinder failed (if they know) and whether the dealer replaced the pistons or the whole longblock or shortblock and any compression test results the dealer or service shop will share.

That way we can see when they fail, how they fail, and what is being done about it.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
Just wondering, so no report on bad piston in a 3.6l yet? Mine is 3.6 and the piston failure on 2.0l u guys are reporting is making me worried...

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury
553 Posts
Just wondering, so no report on bad piston in a 3.6l yet? Mine is 3.6 and the piston failure on 2.0l u guys are reporting is making me worried...
You shouldn't have any piston issues as your motor is naturally aspirated. The turbo motors generate a lot of heat and cylinder pressure and are detonating either due to a design flaw or a stock tune problem. (Likely going stoich at full boost for CAFE is my guess)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Add to the list: #4 piston at about 11,000 km / 6,800 miles. Car build date 07/13. Replaced the pistons after waiting a month for the "updated" parts to come in. They also found bad build up on valves and flashing on a seat, so the head was out to the machine shop to fix that up.

It was a service loaner for the first 9,000 km / 5,600 miles, probably safe to assume beat on with low octane fuel for that time. I don't go easy on it either, but with good fuel at least 91 octane.

·
Registered
'13 SRX4 Performance
248 Posts
I have had the 2.0T in my last 3 vehicles over 2 years:

'12 Regal GS (30K miles)
'14 ATS (9K miles)
'14 CTS (5K miles)

All these vehicles were bought new, all routine maintenance done at the dealership and 93 Octane used in every car. Never had one single issue at all. Nonetheless, I agree with the sticky and monitoring it--but I think that this is a very small issue considering the amount of 2.0T engines that are being used everyday.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,501 Posts
But we really don't know how many cars are affected by this. These are just people on the forum and not even a fraction of cars with the piston problems. For the sake of these people we hope it is very small.
I have had the 2.0T in my last 3 vehicles over 2 years:

'12 Regal GS (30K miles)
'14 ATS (9K miles)
'14 CTS (5K miles)

All these vehicles were bought new, all routine maintenance done at the dealership and 93 Octane used in every car. Never had one single issue at all. Nonetheless, I agree with the sticky and monitoring it--but I think that this is a very small issue considering the amount of 2.0T engines that are being used everyday.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,626 Posts
I think that this is a very small issue considering the amount of 2.0T engines that are being used everyday.
If by small you mean that its not common, you are almost certainly right unless its due to a very large number of bad parts (pistons, rings, blocks, ????) well after production began. The timing and number of the reports in the forum don't seem to be evenly distributed by car age/mileage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've done a bit of googling around for GM 2.0T piston issues in general, rather than specific to a car or model year. There seem to be quite a few examples of people reporting the same/similar type of piston failures in the gen II LNF. As a lot people have mentioned on here, it's hard to say what actual % of engines have failed based on forum posts. It does appear that this isn't really a new issue though, just a new gen engine and in the case of the ATS a new car they've put it in.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury
553 Posts
I'm really concerned about 13 failures on this forum all with low miles.

My car is stock and I always run premium gas but this is worrying me...I may look at a trade to a 2014 V6...

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T auto
135 Posts
Wow, up to 14 now! Scary. At least GM seems to be taking care of people, even the tuned cars.

Do we know if they are using new and improved pistons? If not, we need build dates to see if it was a bad batch of pistons...

·
Registered
2013 ATS
143 Posts
My 2013 2.0T has 35K on it, I hope that I'm in the clear. When I got the car it had 31K. Carfax never said anything about any work being performed.

·
Registered
POS 2.0T 3 blown motors
244 Posts
My 2013 2.0T has 35K on it, I hope that I'm in the clear. When I got the car it had 31K. Carfax never said anything about any work being performed.
carfax will not show any work like this done under warranty. you can take your vin to your dealer and have them lookup the gm service history. it will show everythign that has ever been done to the car at a gm dealer. well if you find someone at the dealership who isnt lazy and willing to help you.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
143 Posts
carfax will not show any work like this done under warranty. you can take your vin to your dealer and have them lookup the gm service history. it will show everythign that has ever been done to the car at a gm dealer. well if you find someone at the dealership who isnt lazy and willing to help you.
Gotcha, we'll I hope mine isn't defective.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,430 Posts
We need to get the word out that everyone with pistpn failure needs to file a report with NHTSA... Unless you get their attention GM will not acknowledge there is a problem let alone fix it via a recall.

I have been thru this on a brake issue and it took damm near 6 years total to fix it. Then it was a voluntary recall after 4 years of fighting and 2 more years to get the actual fix. Lots of customers were out thousands of dollars in repairs that the OEM refused to reimburse.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,626 Posts
We need to get the word out that everyone with pistpn failure needs to file a report with NHTSA... Unless you get their attention GM will not acknowledge there is a problem let alone fix it via a recall.

I have been thru this on a brake issue and it took damm near 6 years total to fix it. Then it was a voluntary recall after 4 years of fighting and 2 more years to get the actual fix. Lots of customers were out thousands of dollars in repairs that the OEM refused to reimburse.
I'm a big advocate for reporting safety issues to the NHTSA, so if someone's engine actually blew just when they pulled out in front of a semi they should definitely report it. I even believe in reporting safety grey areas to light a fire under a manufacturer. But most of these exhibit other symptoms before complete failure AND GM seems to be fixing these as they happen. I would not want to see a recall for something that is low percentages because the cost of inspecting or replacing every piston would be huge and passed on to future cars as price increases or (more likely) corner cutting. What's needed is an extended warranty which the NTHSA is not in business for. The government is slow and largely ineffectual but it is also often a bull in a china shop. Be careful dragging the NHTSA into this by exaggerating the safety aspect of this, especially if it is low percentages.

1 - 20 of 632 Posts