Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling over this choice: I have the opportunity to purchase either engine option in Premium rear drive package in next couple weeks. The price difference between the two after accounting for the options is only about $2500 (V6 model has the premium white diamond paint).

I would love to hear some feedback from people who have test driven both models for comparison (two of my local dealers either has no stock or only V6), so test driving both models back to back is not really an option.

I would also love to hear from people who has owned either engine for a decent amount of time and share some pros and cons of the engine choice.

If you could do it again, would you switch over to the other engine? Why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
I
have driven
the turbo 4...In every way I found
It to be completely satisfying...I like
the Idea of less weight over
the
front wheels......more power is always fun, of course, but in this case I wouldn't pay the extra $2,500

·
Registered
Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '71 Eldo Conv
996 Posts
When I drove the 2.0T (four-cylinder) the engine noise was somewhat louder and although it is often said that a four idles more roughly, I found it very smooth in that regard. I also heard that Premium fuel is recommended for the 2.0T engine. Since the car has the premium "White Diamond" paint (offered in 2014), and not "Crystal White" (offered in 2015 and 2016), does that mean you are considering a leftover 2014 model?

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, both gray and white diamond are 2014s. They're used with around 8k miles.

When I drove the 2.0T (four-cylinder) the engine noise was somewhat louder and although it is often said that a four idles more roughly, I found it very smooth in that regard. I also heard that Premium fuel is recommended for the 2.0T engine. Since the car has the premium "White Diamond" paint (offered in 2014), and not "Crystal White" (offered in 2015 and 2016), does that mean you are considering a leftover 2014 model?

·
Registered
14 CTS 2.0T, (traded 08 CTS 3.6)
136 Posts
I had a 3.6 in my 08 CTS and I have the 2.0T in my 2014. Haven't driven the 2014 3.6. I was skeptical about the 2.0T four until I drove it. Comparing the two I've owned, the 2.0T gets better mpg (offsets premium cost - a push), smoother, quieter, and has more torque. The 3.6 sounded better, but that hasn't bothered me. If I wasn't told that the 2.0T was a turbo, I would never have guessed it (compared to a peaky 2.0T my wife had in a Passat).

·
Registered
'08 CTS
22 Posts
Yes, both gray and white diamond are 2014s. They're used with around 8k miles.

What kind of price are you looking at?

·
Registered
2014 CTS 2.0T
44 Posts
I've never driven the Caddy V6 so I can't comment there aside from mentioning that there seem to be a fair amount of complaints about rough idle issues that seem to have little to no successful fixes.

The 2.0T is very smooth at idle and acceleration. I came from a 2012 Audi A4 2.0T and while the Cadillac's under hard acceleration isn't quite as smooth as the Audi's the idle is smoother and its quieter overall.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 - Performance
3 Posts
I drove both and ended up purchasing the 3.6. I just like the feel of it better. The rough idle issue does not bother me too much (although a fix would be nice Caddy), but I would sit in it a good long while and see if you can get a sense of what everyone is worked up over. Overall, I have had my 2014 for 5 months and love it.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
I test drove both, and frankly if the choice was only those, I would have been visiting some other dealerships. The TTV6 really wakes up the car and makes it "worth the money" to me.

Since then, I have had a 2.0T ATS and 3.6 SRX loaners. The 2.0T is the far more engaging engine. You can really feel the additional torque - and the better mileage isn't exactly a bad thing.

·
Registered
None
34 Posts
No CPO, just the remaining 3 year 6 months and mileage warranty.

Are you seeing better deals?
No, I'm not seeing anything better, and the $ you quote seem pretty good, but there aren't that many for sale to compare. Have you negotiated with them? If you haven't you might be able to get some more knocked off. You have to 1) be willing to walk away and 2) let them know you are considering another car. Be courteous, professional, and firm. If it were me, I would see if they could bring the 2.0 down to 34K, and buy it.

Find out if they are dealer loaner vehicles - with only 8k miles they probably are. I think the 2.0 takes premium gas, and I wonder if the dealers actually put premium in them. In that sense, a dealer loaner is probably a better bet than a leased vehicle (someone who leases a vehicle probably isn't going to run premium. More likely the dealer would but I'm just guessing).

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
879 Posts
I don't know what's going on in other necks of the woods, but the OKC dealer from whom I bought my VSport is currently advertising a 2014 "service loaner" CTS with 5200 miles at $53416, only about $5k off the $58780 MSRP (it's a CTS luxury with mag ride package & nav, etc). When I bought the VSport last month, that exact same car was advertised at $43516!!! I have to wonder what happened to 10k worth of discount? Jeez.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
879 Posts
Taxes is what happened.. Here in VA. We have personal property taxes and cars are part of that. My 2014 CTS Performance cost me $2,000.00 a year in PPTaxes.. If dealers still has those cars left over they have to pay them as well...
No such tax on automobiles in Oklahoma... only a 3.25% "excise tax" at purchase, then a nominal licensing fee each year. There is an annual property tax on business inventory, but it calculates out to something like 1% of the market value, IIRC.

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I'm not seeing anything better, and the $ you quote seem pretty good, but there aren't that many for sale to compare. Have you negotiated with them? If you haven't you might be able to get some more knocked off. You have to 1) be willing to walk away and 2) let them know you are considering another car. Be courteous, professional, and firm. If it were me, I would see if they could bring the 2.0 down to 34K, and buy it.

Find out if they are dealer loaner vehicles - with only 8k miles they probably are. I think the 2.0 takes premium gas, and I wonder if the dealers actually put premium in them. In that sense, a dealer loaner is probably a better bet than a leased vehicle (someone who leases a vehicle probably isn't going to run premium. More likely the dealer would but I'm just guessing).
The inventory is part of the GM company owned vehicles, i.e. driven by the company executives. So there's no negotiation in price.

----------

I test drove both, and frankly if the choice was only those, I would have been visiting some other dealerships. The TTV6 really wakes up the car and makes it "worth the money" to me.

Since then, I have had a 2.0T ATS and 3.6 SRX loaners. The 2.0T is the far more engaging engine. You can really feel the additional torque - and the better mileage isn't exactly a bad thing.
I agree with you on the TTV6; that's why I have the Vsport. : )

This car is for my fiance. She drives a Murano with CVT. She's not exactly a 0-60 speed demon.

More and more 2.0t seem to make better sense for what she would be using the car.

·
Registered
'14 CTS4 3.6 Luxury Radiant Silver/Twilight Blue
233 Posts
Here on Long Island, NY, premium costs 40 cents a gallon more than regular. That is reason enough to go with the 3.6!

·
Registered
Cadillac
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for the feed backs. After some number crunching and looking at the pros and cons of each trim, we (well...actually she really wants) the 3.6...

2015 SRX in Platinum Ice

: )

·
Registered
04 CTS, 08 CTS, 12 CTS Prem, 14 CTS Prem, 16 ATS-V, 18 CTS-V
252 Posts
I'm 3 days late and you already bought but the comment about it being non negotiable because it was GM Company owned vehicle isnt true, courtesy transportation vehicles are not gm program cars, they counts as a retail delivery and the dealership is the buyer. The dealerships gets XXXX amount of money when it goes in based on the model and XXXX money when it goes out of loaner service based on mileage and time.

Congrats on the SRX though!

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
No CPO, just the remaining 3 year 6 months and mileage warranty.

If that car was never titled, the warrantee starts the day you buy and goes 4 years.

----------

No CPO, just the remaining 3 year 6 months and mileage warranty. <br>
<br>
<br><br>If that car was never titled, the warrantee starts the day you buy and goes 4 years.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts