Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD: 2012 CTS-V TG Wagon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am looking at buying an ATS awd and I like modding and am wondering which model to get. If you could do it over again, which one would you get performance wise- 2.0 or 3.6?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
if you like modding, the 2.0 is right up your alley! I ordered a 2.0 RWD premium 6mt and I have never been happier, she's almost a year old and never had one issue. there's some that have had problems, but the car is FANTASTIC! for about $320-$400 you can have an extra 30-40 whp&wtq with the Diablo tune.

welcome to the ATS side :) good luck! there's plenty of discussions about these motors with a lot of good info in them.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
9 Posts
Have the 3.6 and I love it. For some reason majority of mods available are for 2.0. I have never seen the upgraded engine not have at least similar mods. I like the 3.6 better than 2.0T. Smoother engine, better power (stock obviously), and I like naturally aspirated. Turbo gives you power like a diesel, all of it in one lump. As soon as mods are available I will mod and review my 3.6. I think it will have more potential than 2.0T in the long run.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,717 Posts
Had a 3.6 in my 2008 CTS so for me another 3.6 was an easy choice. Smooth running, plenty of power over a wide band, designed to run fine on 87 octane. My pickup and tractor are turbo-diesel and I will soon be adding a supercharged Corvette Z06 so I had to have something with a naturally aspirated engine besides my chainsaw :)

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,524 Posts
Some of us have had problems with the ATS. Me I have none. Love my 3.6 still. I can't really complain. Some little things but that's normal. It's just all personal preference on how each motor feels to you.

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Would say a 3.6 unless you wanna take a chance and end up in the bad piston forum...OUCH! Yea I said it, but seriously its all preference. For me I almost didn't get the ATS after test driving the 2.0 but I gave the 3.6 a chance so now I drive a 3.6 ATS instead of a 3.7 Q50 (it woulda been the infiniti til I test drove the ATS 3.6). If I remember correctly they are not gonna make a twin turbo ATS-V with a 2.0....They saved that for the 3.6. So Im biased, so what? Its all in fun since I know there are modders out there with 10,000HP 2.0 turbos reading this.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a 2.0, I say get the 3.6. :stirpot:

More reliable, sounds better, more reliable....did I mention more reliable?

But as I said earlier, I would skip the ATS until Cadillac gets their crap together.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
the car is FANTASTIC! for about $320-$400 you can have an extra 30-40 whp&wtq with the Diablo tune.
The 3.6 tune is available too. Not as big a gain, but it is starting with more power.

It's a shame that a good set of long tube headers isn't available for 3.6. Someone with a 3.6l needs to drop their car off with Trent for a week. ;)

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
223 Posts
I have 2.0, but I would get the 3.6 if I could do it again. I do like the 2.0, but the 3.6 models have had FAR better reliability according to Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
Ragtop 99 said:
Someone with a 3.6l needs to drop their car off with Trent for a week. ;)
AMEN! and I don't even own one, but I definitely wanna see the family keep mod-growing!

----------

bdwalters said:
according to Consumer Reports.
just look at the 2.0 engine failures page, at that rate we don't even need CR to see the 3.6 is more reliable :)

it's an unfortunate truth, but all I can do is hope we find out the root cause and pray mine doesn't have piston issues

·
Registered
ATS
239 Posts
We have the 2.0 and love it. Just feels lighter and more nimble. And based on my investigation, the reliability problems for the 2014/2015 are a bit overblown. We would get the 2.0 again in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,663 Posts
Re: Thinking about Ats 2.0

Drive both to see which is best for you. There obviously isn't A right answer or they wouldn't make both. If you are influenced by how the manufacturer views the topic, the November Road &Track reports Cadillac says the 3.6 is only offered in the ATS to satisfy "the displacement holdouts".

·
Registered
13' ATS Performance - 2.0T / auto
10 Posts
I've got the 2.0. The torque is great. Fuel mileage is decent if I drive right. I wish it had more power in the upper rpm range near the shift points. I know a tune would wake it up, but I want to avoid warranty issues. I would like to have some drive time in a 3.6, and honestly after reading about the piston failures happening to some 2.0 engines, I'm starting to wish I would have went with a 3.6. Test drive both and see what you like better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts