Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when I'm trying to get through an intersection quickly (ahem), I find the car seems to end up in third right from first, or otherwise upshift into 3rd on its own.

I've shifted into sport manual mode, so starting in 1st. But when I pull the paddle to go into 2nd, I sometimes seem to find myself in 3rd. I usually don't go WOT in first, for obvious reasons...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'13 V
379 Posts
Skipshift us a fuel saving feature of the manual transmission only. I'm not sure what u r desribing on the automatic. I never experienced anything like that

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
156 Posts
I wonder if you're pulling the paddle the same time the computer is wanting to shift to second and you end up shifting into third by mistake? I've never seen it skip second in Sport mode. On a slow start (in traffic) it does seem in a hurry to get to 6th gear by about 30mph lol.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
363 Posts
If you are in sport manual shift mode, when you come to a stop you are in 2nd by default. When you come to a stop in manual shift mode, you will need to paddle down to get back to 1st gear. In sport mode only - automatic shift without paddles- default is 1st gear when coming to a stop.

So it sounds like everything is normal.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
If you are in sport manual shift mode, when you come to a stop you are in 2nd by default. When you come to a stop in manual shift mode, you will need to paddle down to get back to 1st gear. In sport mode only - automatic shift without paddles- default is 1st gear when coming to a stop.

So it sounds like everything is normal.
Exactly!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's an automatic...sorry forgot to add that.

It's when I'm at a complete stop, in manual mode. Like one of the other posters said, it's almost like the computer decides to shift to 2nd on its own and at the same time I pull the paddle. Except this should be manual. It doesn't seem consistent.

But I nearly got beat by an old E-series because I shortshifted to 3rd halfway through the intersection. Still pulled like crazy...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just to be clear there are three different driving modes regarding the automatic transmission.
1. Pull from Part to drive
2. slap it into sport mode. this will allow the computer to do the shifting but in sport mode.
3. once you activate paddle sifters, its all you. the computer will down shift and cut engine power if you are reving too high.
What;s strange is this activity seems to happen in #3. It's almost like it happens when the car detects wheelspin...but I would be very surprised if the car shortshifted to avoid wheelspin. I'm chalking it up to user error...but it's happened on multiple occasions.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)
297 Posts
I have an ATS loaner right now while my V is in for its last warranty visit. I have to say I really like the ATS's manual mode for the automatic. If you are in manual mode it will not downshift unless the engine is about to stall because you are in too high a gear. So if you floor it in M6 at 35mph...the car just chugs along, no automatic downshift. Likewise it will not upshift under any circumstances...it will just bounce of the rev limiter. I like that in "manual" mode it really is manual..no gear changes except for when you'd need to clutch with a manual. And you can skips gears by pulling the paddles quickly.

That said, I still like my manual better :)

·
Registered
09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.4,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
776 Posts
with a aftermarket tune the manual mode (after manually activating via paddle or slap shift) goes/down-shifts into 1st every time at a stop... so that's that. just remember to shift, as bouncing off the limiter in 1st isn't any kinda fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts