Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
STS4
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its snowing outside for the 1st time this winter , I hate snow ,,
OK guys tell me how do our cars drive in the snow ?? I hope it is decent at least , I have had merc ,e320 , a couple of 96 vettes , I had to take out 1 or 2 times , let me know please .

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
The CTS holds it's own with snow tires. If you have an auto, put it in winter mode and it'll launch in third. One more tip is that if you are trying to move up a hill but the traction is low, turn off traction control and use your own judgement to make it up the hill.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
it drives ok, i had a FWD DTS before and the CTS drives crappier than that did in snow, but its not too bad with stability and traction control(I used to drive a 1991 towncar). I remember 1 or 2 nights last winter, there were huge blizzards around here, and I remeber my cts had trouble going up small hills, had to drive it in 2nd gear because it would start slipping if i used the brakes. A 25 minute drive normally, in the blizzard took me an hour.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
OK guys tell me how do our cars drive in the snow ?? I hope it is decent at least , I have had merc ,e320 , a couple of 96 vettes , I had to take out 1 or 2 times , let me know please .
Much better than I expected. This is the first RWD car I've had in a very very long time. I didn't have any issues at all last winter.

I only have 12K miles on it--so the tires are still in great shape. I expect it to be good this year as well.

Once your tires wear down, it doesn't matter if you have RWD, FWD, or AWD, you're going to have problems.

If it snows really bad, I just drive my wife's MDX.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
Mbai2 said:
If you have an auto, put it in winter mode and it'll launch in third. One more tip is that if you are trying to move up a hill but the traction is low, turn off traction control and use your own judgement to make it up the hill.
This is true. Good advice.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
Beantown CTS, it's snowing already?....Ouch...sorry man..but as far as I know and based on what the other members have posted, I think the CTS is pretty good in snow...Hopefully Jon, (Canadian dude) and Dkoz (from Alaska), see your post and respond....those guys have SNOW....There is also a winter traction option, thst snowflake button....I am not sure if it works in my car though...

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
Probably the worst car I've ever had in snow. In my life I've had a mix of FWD, RWD, and mid-engined cars, and this is the worst. It was even worse than the LS1 Camaro Z28 I had prior to this, and on both cars I kept the stock Goodyear RS-As. Whereas the Z28, thanks mostly to its TorSen rearend, would actually do quite well until the snow got above its ground clearance, the CTS was *always* hurting for traction. I'm definitely getting snows this year and will probably throw 100 lb or so of sand in the trunk. BTW, the first thing you should do upon getting in your car in the winter is disable the TCS. I NEVER leave it on in the snow.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
some people are saying disable traction, but unless im going up a hill, no traction just makes me spin the wheels a lot and fishtail the car. I find traction to acutally help in many normal driving situations in the snow.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
And I'm complining cause its only 71 degrees! Burrrrr:alchi:

·
Registered
STS4
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HHHmmm winter mode ,,,
The 2005 I drove I seen it ,the night I bought this one 2006 ,I hope I didn't screw up but I do not see it on my car and i do not see it as an option in the 06 book , I have the sport package w/ stabiltrak [spelling] was it not an option I do not know,,,

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
jteolis said:
And I'm complining cause its only 71 degrees! Burrrrr:alchi:
71 degrees??? Dude, you are so lucky.

40 degrees here.

Pool is closed.

All my outdoor furniture is packed away for the winter.

I can't sit outside and smoke a cigar without putting on layers of clothing...

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
SilverCTS said:
71 degrees??? Dude, you are so lucky.

40 degrees here.

Pool is closed.

All my outdoor furniture is packed away for the winter.

I can't sit outside and smoke a cigar without putting on layers of clothing...
I was just cleaning the pool, a lot of leaves in it from Wilma.

I know I'm lucky, I used to live in snow country, NOT ANYMORE!!! Now that you mention it, I'm going out right now, in shorts and shirt to smoke a cigar, its a chilly 62 at 10:00 pm.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
jteolis said:
I was just cleaning the pool, a lot of leaves in it from Wilma.

I know I'm lucky, I used to live in snow country, NOT ANYMORE!!!

Snow is bad, but given a choice, I'd shovel snow every day in every winter for the rest of my life rather than put up with one hurricane like Katrina.

How bad was Wilma for you down there?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
HHHmmm winter mode ,,,
The 2005 I drove I seen it ,the night I bought this one 2006 ,I hope I didn't screw up but I do not see it on my car and i do not see it as an option in the 06 book , I have the sport package w/ stabiltrak [spelling] was it not an option I do not know,,,
I don't know if this makes a difference, but do you have the 2.8 or 3.6 2006 CTS. I can only speak for the 04 model, but I thought that winter mode stuff came standard....I also added susp w/stabilitrak....Interesting....anyone out there with an 06 who can confirm the winter mode setting....

·
Registered
STS4
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have the 3.6 automatic ,,like i said I looked all thru the book saw nothing on winter mode , so then i went to cadillac.com and tried to build a new on looking at all the options and seen nothing there so that leads me to believe it is no longer a option ,,,:hmm:

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
i have the 3.6 automatic ,,like i said I looked all thru the book saw nothing on winter mode , so then i went to cadillac.com and tried to build a new on looking at all the options and seen nothing there so that leads me to believe it is no longer a option ,,,:hmm:
Interesting. In my 2005 model, winter (snow) mode is activated by pressing a button right below the shifter (on an automatic).

I recently had my car in the shop. They gave me a 2006 for a loaner.

I didn't realize this at the time, but looking back, there was no winter (snow) mode button or sport mode button by the shifter on the 06 model.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've not run my CTS through the winter yet. We've established that the car starts out in 3rd gear when winter mode is engaged on 2005 and earlier cars. Since the 2006 has manual gear selection, maybe GM expects owners to select starting in 3rd gear when necessary. Will the car start in 3rd if its selected?

- Mark

·
Registered
STS4
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well we will have to see ,, I am going out to pep boys to check out floor mats , so I will try and let you guys know when I come back,,
thanks for all the input here

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The CTS is one of the best cars in snow that I have ever owned. I have driven a hundreds of miles in snow that was dragging the belly. In some places I was pushing it with the front bumper to where it was coming over the hood. The most important thing to remember is that the tires produce maximum traction just before they began to spin. Use Traction Control and Winter Mode, feather the throttle very gently, and keep the car moving. Aggressive driving will put you in the ditch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts