Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In typical fashion, news reporting has a habit of 'accidentally' preloading scew into any abbreviated headline. Next, we know only between 15-30% of the all-important salient background directly related to the storyline below. The issues at hand struck me as darned interesting in light of the current TP-hoarding, "don't worry everything's going to be ok", market down 30%, 'anyone who sneezes in public gets an ankle bracelet and locked in their house for 2 weeks' mentality running rampant.

With nothing more to go on except what's typed, I was just conjecturing all the possible spins about this guy:
A.) evil, demonic, moronic, selfish, entitled, felonious cretin deserving 10 years in solitary,
or,
B.) conscientious, pragmatic, considerate citizen taking the pro-active stance to notify those potentially affected for their benefit and pro-active follow-up immediately after finding out the results instead of slinking away and keeping test results to himself, - and with MUCH GREATER chance of unchecked spread if he did say nothing.

• He could have realized he'd been in the company of someone determined to be infected and just using the test as a prophylactic
  • His doc just received a batch of kits and thinks best to test ALL his patients in the 'susceptible demographic' regardless of symptoms
  • He's feeling down and instead of "doing nothing" gets a test, but sure as hell is not going to make points with his company by shirking a business trip without document-able justification.
  • He may have answered honestly if questioned, that he felt no symptoms, and may have been wearing a mask the whole time too to make others as safe as possible, which would not have stirred any special attention right now.
If the story is kept current we might find out more.

But none of that is important compared to the various downstream consequences to this airline's knee-jerk mindset and action. Are we looking at:

• 1.) ALL airflight is cancelled, since anyone can be infected whether tested or not, and whether showing symptoms or not. And especially whether hiding something or not.
  • 2.) No one flies without presenting test results less than 3 days old showing 'Negative'. Kids included. Especially kids since they seem to be just carriers and not otherwise affected as much. Which given the absence of test kits means No. 1 is the case anyway.
  • 3.) Everyone getting on a plane gets tested first after checkin and must wait in quarantine in the terminal until results available (4 hours?, 2 days?)
The airline's actions now only guarantee to make alot people nothing more than liers, - and also A LOT more people infected!

Sorry for the total reprint, but links have a habit of going 404 Error after a while. This is a repost by St. Louis Post taken from CNN:

JetBlue bans passenger who tells crew after landing he has coronavirus
By Faith Karimi CNN

JetBlue banned a passenger who flew from New York to Florida while awaiting the results of a coronavirus test and notified the crew after landing that they came back positive, the airline said.

The passenger left John F Kennedy International Airport and landed at West Palm Beach on Wednesday night. He did not disclose to anyone at JetBlue that he was awaiting results of a coronavirus test, the airline said.

On arrival, the passenger told the crew that he'd been notified the test was positive and cleaning immediately started for the areas he went through based on security camera footage, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said. They included gates, security checkpoints, check-in counters and kiosks, elevators and restrooms.

"Last night's event put our crewmembers, customers, and federal and local officials in an unsettling situation that could have easily been avoided, and as such, this customer will not be permitted to fly on JetBlue in the future," the airline said in a statement Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has asked people feeling unwell, those who believe they may have coronavirus or those who are awaiting test results to avoid travel until they are cleared by a medical professional.
Palm Beach International Airport is operating normally a day after the incident, spokeswoman Lacey Larson said. It had temporarily closed down Concourse A for cleaning after passengers aboard the flight went through that area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
No, he would have been denied boarding, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
981 Posts
That's what I said "They wouldn't have l let him on most likely".

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
My point was that "or sat him FAR away and shunned him, or stuck a mask on him" was not even an option.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
263 Posts
What a selfish POS getting on a closed airliner with air getting recirculated when he knew it was possible he had the Wuhan virus!

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow-up has been sparse in the week+ since the incident. A reputable news source reported:
-man was traveling with wife
-he was wearing masks (plural) and gloves. No word on whether wife was, though a logical probability she was infected too
-he commented feeling poorly, passenger sitting in same row stated the subject "half insinuated without actually admitting" getting positive result 'just before' departure
-reported the results to crew upon landing and plane held 2 hours on tarmac and then summarily released all passengers

--> IF <-- all is accurately and completely reported, then (and only then) it would indicate strong case for charging and strenuously prosecuting premeditated public health endangerment. That would certainly have made an example of consequences of clearly selfish behavior. But most assuredly would also have many folks going completely radio silent trying to cover up even a hint of symptoms - or even worse their own positive results.

My takeaway (and what struck me the most) regarding the airline's actions (and most notably the lack thereof) was they handled everything in about as badly backwards and ineffective way possible.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
We don't know that.
I know that. I worked in the airline industry as a flight dispatcher for over 43 years and I can tell you that the passenger would have been denied boarding if it was known that he had corvid-19. I've seen it happen for much less severe reasons.

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. Would that be all airlines?
I'll volunteer with the rampant panic, ALL airlines' fears of lawsuits, 2,500% probability of riot, bloodshed and manslaughter by passengers informed of a known infected fellow passenger, not to mention bankruptcy-causing publicity, that would be all airlines flying within, or to or from, a first-world country.

Your question is a little perplexing. What are you considering would be a situation otherwise? Well except of course a private charter with all crew in protective gear, that is.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'
1,165 Posts
Hordes of private jets landing on Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and all Cape second homes are being occupied by their owners who of course, are mostly crowded suburbs and cities.
They're coming here to escape the plague and are most likely bringing it with them.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'll volunteer with the rampant panic, ALL airlines' fears of lawsuits, 2,500% probability of riot, bloodshed and manslaughter by passengers informed of a known infected fellow passenger, not to mention bankruptcy-causing publicity, that would be all airlines flying within, or to or from, a first-world country.

Your question is a little perplexing. What are you considering would be a situation otherwise? Well except of course a private charter with all crew in protective gear, that is.
It was just a question. Seems a number of people on here are stressed out. Understandable of course, but please folks don't jump on someone for a reasonable question posed in a polite manner.

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see the folks on the forum and those posting here are notably more coherent and leveled than the general populace. I, like others, are likely just perplexed as I said with your query. You have to have heard of all the instances where a self-righteous attendant has ejected a ticket-holding passenger (whose managed to get past security and the gate agent) because of 'inappropriate clothing' - which turned out no worse than a calm day at WalMart. Flight crew's default has consistently proven severely command and control oriented even in the best of conditions. It's kind of far-fetched to think someone admitting they are infected in a country with 60% of the population having a 'pre-existing health condition' would be allowed to remain on board, - much less risking physical harm by at least 1/2 the passengers. LOL

·
Registered
981 Posts
I see the folks on the forum and those posting here are notably more coherent and leveled than the general populace. I, like others, are likely just perplexed as I said with your query. You have to have heard of all the instances where a self-righteous attendant has ejected a ticket-holding passenger (whose managed to get past security and the gate agent) because of 'inappropriate clothing' - which turned out no worse than a calm day at WalMart. Flight crew's default has consistently proven severely command and control oriented even in the best of conditions. It's kind of far-fetched to think someone admitting they are infected in a country with 60% of the population having a 'pre-existing health condition' would be allowed to remain on board, - much less risking physical harm by at least 1/2 the passengers. LOL
Most but certainly not all (not referring to anyone in this thread). There really is nothing to be perplexed about. It was just a question because I don't take flights, but I have heard all kinds of things about flights and things that go on.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
please folks don't jump on someone for a reasonable question posed in a polite manner.
I sincerely hope you did not take my comments in that manner. That was not my intent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts