Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11:::CTS:::C:O:U:P:E:::Black:on:Black
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my black beauty got her first car wash. Of course, I did the 1st 1st wash myself...but today I let someone else...Is this how parents feel when their firstborn goes to preschool? Ha! I watched it like a hawk...every soft cloth that touched her...Im sure all subsequent washes will become easier...today I realized I loooove my car like
like...
guys do!!! :D :cloud9:

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
I know how you feel, Diva. I'm afraid to wash mine! :histeric: Salesman said can't take it through car wash because it will make swirl marks on the black paint. We've had black cars in the past and they do get marks if you aren't super careful when wiping it off.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
I'll be curious to see what I do with my ThunderCTS. I have owned a 350 Z for the last eight years; it has never seen a car wash and looks immaculate at all times.

·
Registered
2016 ATS Coupe 2.0T RWD Lux Black/Black
98 Posts
I know how you feel, Diva. I'm afraid to wash mine! :histeric: Salesman said can't take it through car wash because it will make swirl marks on the black paint. We've had black cars in the past and they do get marks if you aren't super careful when wiping it off.
Do you think he might have been referring specifically to car washes with brushes? My CTS Coupe is my third black car in a row, and the previous two were routinely put through brushless automatic car washes with blow dryers, and neither one developed swirl marks. I would never, ever, ever put any car of mine (that I liked!) through a car wash with brushes (made that mistake once), but I have had good luck with brushless washes. True, the blow drying leaves more spots than a good wiping off, but it's better than driving around with a dirty car (which I can't stand) until I have time to hand wash/dry her.

My other big tip for a black car is get a California Car Duster--I've had one for years, and it really is great at keeping the dust off between washes. Got my CTS Coupe a month ago, and I'm still at the stage where I dust her at least once a day, usually twice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That is a good tip, Tulkinghorn. I'll have to seek out a brushless car wash in my area.

California Car Duster? Had never heard of one, but just googled it to see what it was. Another good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rayle...You sound like me...CONFESSION TIME: I actually spent the last week driving around with a slightly dirty CTS because I REFUSE to let anyone touch her!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think he might have been referring specifically to car washes with brushes? My CTS Coupe is my third black car in a row, and the previous two were routinely put through brushless automatic car washes with blow dryers, and neither one developed swirl marks. I would never, ever, ever put any car of mine (that I liked!) through a car wash with brushes (made that mistake once), but I have had good luck with brushless washes. True, the blow drying leaves more spots than a good wiping off, but it's better than driving around with a dirty car (which I can't stand) until I have time to hand wash/dry her.

My other big tip for a black car is get a California Car Duster--I've had one for years, and it really is great at keeping the dust off between washes. Got my CTS Coupe a month ago, and I'm still at the stage where I dust her at least once a day, usually twice.

AGREED! No brushes...found a 'softcloth' car wash, no blowers at the end, and hand dry service. Looks great. I will check out the duster. Thx for the tip!

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium
78 Posts
To all those Concerned about swirl marks since I got rid of my black pontiac that was ridden with swirls for a cts coupe, I got "the protector" that protects the exterior of the car. Let me tell you for all those who call it a waste and rip off, they have never seen the results. The paint is literally glass finish not one swirl mark on the car, and I really checked thoroughly! In all lighting conditions. Plus it really holds up well after a brutal winter and hand washing. Still nothing and it's been 5 months.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 3.6 aut., 2008, thundergrey/casmere
46 Posts
Don't let it be a religion - have had the first 20 black cars, of course it get swirl marks sooner or later - If you wash with your hands they will be round and by a car wash long, however my last car was a Mustang conv, triple black, after a year it had swirl marks, then I gave it a prof. Nano treatment and it looked like new. Give a nano every year, and carwash with brushes isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I agree ... you will eventually get swirl marks no matter what you do ... and stone chips as well ... but I take mine in once a year and have it professionally detailed and they go a great job with a minor abrasive compound that gets the marks out ... the life of the owner of a black CTS!

·
Registered
337 Posts
"Nano treatment" :hmm: "The protector" :hmm:

I don't know what either of these are.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony
1,008 Posts
"Nano treatment" :hmm: "The protector" :hmm:

I don't know what either of these are.
nano treatment like chemical stuffs that you add on the exterior as part of the auto detailing process.. it could get really expensive depending on what brand you use, it's probably not too popular to US. the nano will "bond" on the paint as if it is adding a super thin layer of film on top of the paint.

protector could be anything but he might be referring to the clear bar.. it's like an invisible tape (think of a big piece of tape) that protect the paint, usually apply to the front and hood.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
Nano sounds like urban myth to me.

The 3 M clear bra does work for front bumper, hood, mirrors, etc exposed to road debris and bugs. I wish I would have added to my Z. We have it on our Lexus SUV. I'm going to have it installed on my Thundercts.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 3.6 aut., 2008, thundergrey/casmere
46 Posts
How Nano Sealants Work
The nano particles organise themselves to form a coating and bond with the surface after application. Once the nano particles are on or inside the surface, they proceed to wage a war against dirt, dust, algae or any evil intruder. For example, if the surface is smooth and non absorbent, then nano particles simply combine with the surface, and repel any liquid intruder. So no contaminants can infiltrate into the surface!

On the other hand, if the treated surface happens to be porous, the nano particles fill up the pores from the inside. Fungus, lichen, algae and moss can no longer adhere to the surface. Dirt and liquids can't get into the surface anymore and are simply repelled. This same technique works magic on textiles (natural and synthetic fibres).
Once the fibres are protected using the coating, Ddampness and dirt can no longer get through the fibres and are simply repelled. The treated textiles are completely harmless to skin.

You have to allow some time for the coating to develop its full anti adhesive characteristics.

One hour after treatment ….
About one hour after the treatment, the coating can be stepped on with clean soft shoes or objects can be transported and stored.

One day after treatment….
After about one day (with smooth surfaces and fibres) or up to two days (with porous surfaces) the coating develops its full anti adhesive characteristics. The surface tension decreases through the coating, so that liquids and contaminants can no longer adhere and are simply repelled. The look, texture and breathability of the treated materials are not affected.

One year after treatment…
A nano coating can last up to one year. All you have to do is re-seal and continue enjoying the same protection.

Nano Sealants at work
The advantage of a nano coating is that it is heat resistant up to 450 degrees Celsius as well as UV stable and frost resistant. So any treated surface become stronger and scratch resistant, and average mechanical wear does almost no harm to the surface. Sealed surfaces can even be cleaned with a high-pressure cleaner (maximum 50/60 bar or 725/870 psi).

Removing the coating
In the strict sense of the word, removal is not possible with force. Nano power is bonded power at the atomic level, so scrubbing or scouring will damage the treated surfaces (e.g. synthetics), and it’s still impossible to remove the sealant entirely.

Nano Power –
the bond that is forever Nanotechnology products have been tested for years, developed steadily and are optimised for surfaces and their material characteristics (for glass, ceramics, stone, concrete, plaster/finery, masonry, natural stones, textiles etc).

Durability of a sealant:
The durability of a nano sealant depends on different compounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts