Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rear shocks with passive shocks. I didn't buy a fancy kit, and so now I'm limited to 90 mph and have to dismiss the error messages when I start up the car.

I have searched through this board and I can't find a clear answer really.

I just want to buy a resisitor that will allow me to get rid of the messages. If there is a wiring procedure I can do myself that is fine too
If this has been spelled out elsewhere please point me there, I've searched all around and found nothing that would help me with my car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Radio Shack item # 217-1124 (4.7k Ohm, 1/2 watt).

The resistor lead will be a friction fit in the chassis connector. Be sure to waterproof and insulate the exposed resistor body; hot glue works for me.

·
Registered
1999 STS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim. I am assuming that there are some leads and I just pop this resistor between them. I'll try it on Tuesday and see how it works out.

As for the ride with my shocks, I don't know what the factory ride was like. When I bought the car the shocks were crap, so my mechanic rigged up some air shocks and I'd say it is pretty good.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Thanks Jim. I am assuming that there are some leads and I just pop this resistor between them. I'll try it on Tuesday and see how it works out.
There will be an empty connector where the original shock damper valve was connected to the chassis wire harness. You will be using one resistor on each side of the car as a substitute for the shock damper valve that is no longer present. The connector has only two cavities and the resistor simply connects those cavities to each other.

Easier to do than explain.

·
Registered
1999 STS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, Thanks - I'm guessing it is straight forward, I'll report back how it goes - I really appreciate this.

Tommy - my mechanic is nothing short of amazing - the way he put those shocks on is damn impressive and he saved me a pile of cash. We only did the rear shocks because the front ones are fine. The rear air shocks had a leak and were filled with water... just a mess.

·
Registered
1999 STS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked! Thank you so much Jim! No messages, the resistor did the trick. If it gives out I'll be back to report, but so far a success.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
It worked! Thank you so much Jim! No messages, the resistor did the trick. If it gives out I'll be back to report, but so far a success.
Great feedback for future readers.

Based on your comments regarding what was done to the car, I had no doubt the resistors would take care of the message. The trick is calculating the resistor value that will satisfy the suspension module test routine.

Happy motoring Cadillac style.

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Sorry to bring this back but I called radio shack and they said the didn't carry anything under that item number. Is there maybe another item number to search for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts