Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1999 STS- HVAC actuator problem?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
I have very nice 1999 STS with 148,000 miles. I have one code B1343-Air Inlet Door Movement Fault. I get cold air from passenger vents but warmer air from driver's side vents. I've read search results for over 3 hours now only to get more confused. I removed glove box and both kick panels. I found 3 actuators. One under driver's side dash. One behind passenger side kick panel. And one behind driver's side kick panel which controls the rear air. I was told by local mechanic with a scanner that there is one (maybe 2?) more located deeper into the dash towards the firewall (called Air Inlet/Outlet Actuator Right and Air Inlet/Outlet Actuator Left) which is causing my problem. Is this true? How many actuators does my 99STS have?

#2 ·
Re: 1999 Seville STS-Actuator Problem?

------------------
the Air Inlet Door is the "RECIRCULATE door -
it allows - or restricts outside air
to be mixed with inside "conditioned" air -

there are two "MIX" DOORS -
#1 is the driver side - #2 is the passenger side -
these control the temperature of the air -

there is a "MODE" door -
this controls WHERE the air blows from -

---------------------

I get cold air from passenger vents
but warmer air from driver's side vents

if this happens when cold A/C is selected -
most common cause is a slightly low charge of freon -

#7 ·
I had freon charged. Yes, it was low. I'm getting cold air out of every vent now. I changed actuator on passenger side and it's fixed also. B1343 went away. I strongly recommend using a swivel socket to get back screw out. I did some extra exploring while under there to help others out.

B1340-refers to actuator in panel above driver's feet.
B1341-refers to actuator behind driver's side kick plate.
B1343-refers to passenger side actuator (glove box and kick plate removal)

I did this by unplugging each actuator, one at a time, and seeing which code came up.

Thanks for your help guys!

#9 ·
Disregard reply #7. Wrong info!
B1341-refers to actuator just to the left once you get glove box removed. Easy access.
B1343-refers to passenger side actuator (glove box and kick plate removal). It's sort of hidden in the back right. Hard to access. Takes a little time and patience to remove the 2 screws.

I did this by unplugging each actuator, one at a time, and seeing which code came up.

Thanks for your help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.