Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my father in law has a 1999 STS that has been well loved, and is running close to 400k miles on it.

Recently he has had an issue with what he believes is the hazard module. Based on what I have gathered, this is in the middle of the dash near the blowers, and based on his trouble shooting, he agrees.

How do we get that section of the dash off in order to possibly replace this? He has looked and there must be some trick he is missing.

Regards,

Chris

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
Your best bet would be to subscribe the car to a multi-year login to www.alldatadiy.com

Right side ??? dash trim removal - hoops to jump through. I believe the switch and flasher are integral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theoretically that may work, but he is not at all computer literate so it isnt the best option. I was just unsure if someone else had done this and had some kind of write up. I was unable to find one.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
Google "cadillac forums 1999 seville hazard warning switch" or something close, always preceded by "cadillac forums .........."

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The dash pad has to be removed, and then the wood trim piece. I'm almost positive that some of the fasteners for it are under the passenger side air bag module. Not as big a job as it sounds, but a couple of possibly tedious parts.

About to step out for a while. I can post steps for most of it later if nobody else does by then.

Or in the meantime. Google "seville dash pad removal" and "how to disable seville airbag", or something along those lines. Then it's just a matter of unbolting and unplugging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mostcabbage, I would appreciate that if you could when you get a chance. I have now done some looking around at dash removals as well to see what I can come up with before I talk to him again about it.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
First step is removing the A pillar trim. Starting at the top, there is one clip weakly holding it to the headliner, then two harder to disengage ones holding it to the pillar. You want to pull it towards the center console to remove it. Don't be surprised if the clip posts break off of the trim. They can be reattached with epoxy.

Next step is removing all 4 vents. There is a clip on the top left and bottom right of each vent. You need to slide a credit card between the wood trim and vent, at both clip locations simultaneously, then pull the vent out.

Once they're all out, close each vent so you don't lose the small bolts you're going to remove. There is one in the upper part of each vent hole.

Once they're removed, pull the dash pad toward you and slightly upwards. If the right side feels stuck, push down on it half way between the windshield and edge of the dash pad, while pulling it forward. Don't pull the pad too far, you have to unplug the connector for the tweeters.

It helps to lower the steering wheel fully while removing it BTW.

From there it's just a matter of unbolting and unplugging the airbag (MAKE SIRE YOU DISABLE THE SRS SYSTEM FIRST). Then you should have access to all of the wood trim fasteners. You might have to move the instrument cluster bezel slightly as well, probably take out one of its fasteners to do so. It's been a while since I've been under my dash pad.

----------

This is basically what you're going for. The thinner the cards the easier it will be.

The first one will be the most difficult, the others slightly easier. The vents and pillar trim are the worst parts of this job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts