Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, starting 'yet another' thread on this. At my wits end trying to remedy this.
Read so many forum posts and such and tried so many things during the last few weeks that my brain is turning to mush.

Ok, so, the Wife's '99 Seville SLS (176K) is being a pain. We've had the vehicle since September 2011.
She really enjoys the vehicle so I'm stuck maintaining it.
Note: Vehicle had to have the upper end head rebuild procedure at 104K right after she bought it. Seller had stuck some wonderful white goo in the coolant system to keep it from showing the blown heads.

Late last September it started stalling/dying at stops.
Gradually became frequent and then constant.

Through all of this, the car runs great at speed, no problems at all. It does love cruising.

After checking retail prices of IACs, MAFs, ETC., We went to the local Pull-A-Part and grabbed some pieces/parts.
Found a couple of donors that had what appeared to be 'newish' parts on them.
One Seville had a super clean MAF on it.
I used RockAuto and one of the GM parts sites to determine interchangeability between Deville & Seville.

Cleaned the throttle body & plenum out with three cans of throttle body cleaner.
Even removed the TB to get into the plenum.
It appears to suck a lot of oil through the EGR - heck of a mess.
Replaced:
IAC
TPS
EGR
MAF
New Air Filter
Checked rubber duct for any cracks or leaks.
Changed a couple of vacuum line 'boots' just for grins.
PCV is good.

In January (01-06) we replaced the rear shocks with the Monroe Conversion. Stuck resistors in the harness to suppress the warnings.

This appeared to take care of the problem - until the end of January.
Started out intermittently, and has become constant and erratic.
Swapped out the IAC with another spare that we had and it was OK for a day or two.
Now it is just constant.

This latest round of items I've tried during the last two weeks:
Replaced the battery because it was 6 years old.
Replaced the Neutral Safety Switch (new) because I read a post somewhere.
(Can't remember where, I've been reading a whole bunch of posts for this...)

Out of desperation and frustration, took it to a shop and their prognosis is that it is the Transmission.

Since we got this vehicle in Fall of 2011 it has always tossed a code of P0741 and we have put over 72,000 miles on all over East TN, up to KY, and out to Independence, MO. Plenty of grades.
Never had any slippage or anything odd. And it gets close to 30MPG on the highway.

Currently it is dying constantly when it's warm and put into gear, and/or when stopped at a light or sign.
I'm running a basic Bluetooth ODB reader with a tablet during this, and it takes quite a number of stalls before the check engine light comes on.
I've been reading the codes via the dash panel and then clearing them through all of this.

At my wit's end. Can't fathom that it is the tranny causing this.
I do have a donor alternator at the repair shop for rebuild. (read something about alternator problems causing this - again somewhere...)
Presently the command center is reporting 14.1V.

Thanks for reading through this novella.
_Dan

Codes as of this day.
Spoiler for List of Codes Retrieved, Click to:

Alpha Code Number State

ABS C1255 H

AMP U1255 Current
U1064 H

DDM B1983 H
U1255 H

DIM B1983 H
U1255 H

IPC U1255 Current

IPM B1344 Current
B1652 H

IRC

PCM P0741 Current
P1520 H
P1599 H
P1612 H
P1654 Current

RFA

RIM P1327 H
U1255 H

SDM

VTD B3055 H

MSM

TTM

RSS C1736 H
C1738 Current

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,751 Posts
Pull your stored trouble codes instead of simply throwing more parts at it. The car has its own built-in scanner/reader - use the "How to pull codes" sticky on this forum main threads page, correct model/year group of instructions. There's an embedded link to all OBD-II code definitions. I'll bet you're looking at P 0385/0386 and/or P 0335/0336 - CKP failures - common coastdown/slow speed turn stalls. Immediate restart.

Unless you are burning raw engine oil there's NO way the throttlebody can get oil from the EGR. A faulty PCV, maybe.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/205754-acronyms.html

If the car is an SLS you did not need to install resistors to fool the (passive) suspension system. What is the 8th character of the VIN? Y = the SLS - passive suspension; 9 = the STS - active suspension.

The P 0741 says there are leaking seals in the transmission/torque converter shafts - that is the rotating joint that supplies engagement pressure to the Torque Converter Clutch. If the TCC was stuck ON then you might get stalls at stop.

Here's your speed/rpm table with TCC ON at road load speeds over about 43 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
It's a 'Y' in #8.
It was showing 'Service Suspension System' and 'Speed Limited to 90' in the command console until I put in the resistors.
I didn't think I had to either, everything I read beforehand stated the same thing - go figure.

I pulled all the codes this morning via the dash. (Love that feature.)
They are listed in a 'Spoiler' box and the end of my post in order to cut down on clutter. Just click on the 'Show' button.
There's not any entries for P 0385/0386 and/or P 0335/0336
I started capturing the codes via smartphone video back when, and just went all the way back to fall of 2016 with three videos, and those numbers have never shown up - hope that's good news.

Oops, I meant to say PCV and typed EGR instead, my bad.

Going to warm it up and take it for a spin if I can, and check it against the tables you kindly posted.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
While out, Check o2 sensor and fuel trim numbers to rule out air or fuel issues

·
Administrator
70,751 Posts
OK - if it's a Y car then it either does not have active suspension (no resistors possible) - no wiring pigtails to the struts/shocks - or it's yet another rare F45 SLS.

Look at the RPO (Regular Production Option) sticker under the spare tire cover. The suspension codes for that car will be either FE1 (soft springs) or FE3/F45 - performance springs, active CVRSS suspension. Google "1999 cadillac rpo code list" for definitions. Be careful with the I and the 1.

If it's a FE1 car then the resistors (if installed improperly) were stuck into the wheel speed sensor circuits - bad policy as it disables a lot of braking and stability functions.

F45 cars will have not only the wheel speed sensors but also will have electrical connectors at the top/side of the struts/shocks themselves.

ELC has nothing to do with suspension control - that system compensates for weight changes in the trunk or rear seat, and all our cars have ELC regardless of suspension type.

For your 1999 engine and excessive oil consumption, Google "cadillac forums a river runs through it". A thread on the PCV baffle in the right (rear) cam cover. Started long ago by a past CF member Cadillac Service Tech, AJXTCMAN.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,448 Posts
Never had any slippage or anything odd. And it gets close to 30MPG on the highway.
If you have a P0741 code, you have slippage, but it is too minor for you to feel. Rest assured, it will get worse and your mileage will decrease by 1 or 2 MPG, but you still won't feel the slippage.

Late last September it started stalling/dying at stops.
Gradually became frequent and then constant.
Stalling at stops is a symptom of a bad CKP sensor, very common on the 2000-2003's. They do not always set a DTC. If you are going to throw parts at it, that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
My 1999 SLS is also a active suspension car. The RPO says FE1 F45. So soft ride electric suspension I'm guessing... This sounds like a issue with ckp sensors or possibly a faulty control module, especially since you mentioned that it mostly does it warm. I kid you not, my last control module failed while doing the SAME EXACT symptoms your car is doing. I will swap the control module. From what I experienced, pre 2000 Northstars will throw a p1350, p1375 code if there's an ckp sensor fault.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't get to the spare tire area currently, the trunk is stuffed with Honey's crates and tubs and it's raining.
The rear shocks had wire leads coming off of them. I cut those off and soldered the resistors to them.

Yesterday evening I decided to attempt to replace the blend actuator for the air mix, there's no output to the floor or defrost.
Should have gone for a root canal or something else.
Got the three screws out and gently removed the actuator and the bloody metal hub stuck on the stud...
Took quite a bit of effort to get it off and now the replacement won't go on easily...
That whole assembly is loose as all get out. I don't think that an actuator will have the force to turn it. I can barely get it with pliers.
Oh, and then I thought I'd pull that cabin air filter. Didn't happen needless to say.
I've read over quite a number of posts on this forum over the years and these 'design features' are beyond belief.

Anyway, had the vehicle idling for 3+ hours while working on the blend door actuator and the fan.
It only died out twice during that time.
I shifted it into gear every so often while taking a break from contorting myself.
No stalls like it was doing the day before...

What I can't get my mind around is that from October it ran fine for over three months and then the problem returned with a vengeance.
If it were CKPs wouldn't it have continued and not cleared up for that time?
It's a 1999 mfg'd in 11/98.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
My ckp wiring was damaged by the heat from the exhaust manifold, the stalling issue was intermittent and got worse and worse, until one day the car started cranking forever before it started, and when it started, I had no tach and engine lacked unresponsiveness. And it kept doing it until I got the issue fixed, idk if that's what's going on with your car, but it's definitely a possibility. Burned ckp wiring seemed to be an issue with pre 2000 Northstars from several old threads I dug up and from MY personal experience. Be on the look out for PCM codes p1350 and p1375. Those are the only ckp related codes for our older Northstars.

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think so, but stranger things have happened.
My ckp wiring was damaged by the heat from the exhaust manifold, the stalling issue was intermittent and got worse and worse, until one day the car started cranking forever before it started, and when it started, I had no tach and engine lacked unresponsiveness. And it kept doing it until I got the issue fixed, idk if that's what's going on with your car, but it's definitely a possibility. Burned ckp wiring seemed to be an issue with pre 2000 Northstars from several old threads I dug up and from MY personal experience. Be on the look out for PCM codes p1350 and p1375. Those are the only ckp related codes for our older Northstars.
"stranger things..." and this vehicle go hand in hand.
As soon as this bloody rain lets up I know what I'll be checking out... :D

'Damaged wires' just set off a bunch of bells as I read this. I had to repair two areas after the shop did the head repair back in '11 because they weren't very good at putting the harnesses back where they belonged.

I just went back over the codes that I have retrieved going back (4) years (and that I bothered to put in a spreadsheet,) and there haven't been any p1350's or p1375's... -drat.
I'm going to check the wiring none the less. Go over all the connectors. Perhaps dis-connecting and re-seating them might help, or else it'll cause further problems.

The other day when I put in the neutral safety switch I had dis-connected the injector harness. Cleaned both ends with CRC contact cleaner before re-assembly and it still went crazy and tossed codes for all (8) injectors when I went to start it up. I had to dis-connect/re-connect the plug and then it ran fine, albeit the stalling problem was still present.

Thanks for the continued assistance!
_Dan

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
"stranger things..." and this vehicle go hand in hand.
As soon as this bloody rain lets up I know what I'll be checking out... :D

'Damaged wires' just set off a bunch of bells as I read this. I had to repair two areas after the shop did the head repair back in '11 because they weren't very good at putting the harnesses back where they belonged.

I just went back over the codes that I have retrieved going back (4) years (and that I bothered to put in a spreadsheet,) and there haven't been any p1350's or p1375's... -drat.
I'm going to check the wiring none the less. Go over all the connectors. Perhaps dis-connecting and re-seating them might help, or else it'll cause further problems.

The other day when I put in the neutral safety switch I had dis-connected the injector harness. Cleaned both ends with CRC contact cleaner before re-assembly and it still went crazy and tossed codes for all (8) injectors when I went to start it up. I had to dis-connect/re-connect the plug and then it ran fine, albeit the stalling problem was still present.

Thanks for the continued assistance!
_Dan
Look specifically for burned wires near the exhaust manifold that runs to the ckp sensor, I've also read that this issue can be accelerated if you have/had a weak motor mount.

·
Registered
1999 SLS w/F45
814 Posts
Look specifically for burned wires near the exhaust manifold that runs to the ckp sensor, I've also read that this issue can be accelerated if you have/had a weak motor mount.

I can also see on my car that the shop who did the work on my SLS(Joe @ Midwest Cadillac), carefully rerouted the wires a different way that's not running anywhere near the exhaust manifold, so hopefully I never go through this issue again. Great cars none the less, but these cars can have issues that no ordinary vehicle should have...

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK - if it's a Y car then it either does not have active suspension (no resistors possible) - no wiring pigtails to the struts/shocks - or it's yet another rare F45 SLS.

Look at the RPO (Regular Production Option) sticker under the spare tire cover. The suspension codes for that car will be either FE1 (soft springs) or FE3/F45 - performance springs, active CVRSS suspension. Google "1999 cadillac rpo code list" for definitions. Be careful with the I and the 1.

If it's a FE1 car then the resistors (if installed improperly) were stuck into the wheel speed sensor circuits - bad policy as it disables a lot of braking and stability functions.

F45 cars will have not only the wheel speed sensors but also will have electrical connectors at the top/side of the struts/shocks themselves.

ELC has nothing to do with suspension control - that system compensates for weight changes in the trunk or rear seat, and all our cars have ELC regardless of suspension type.

For your 1999 engine and excessive oil consumption, Google "cadillac forums a river runs through it". A thread on the PCV baffle in the right (rear) cam cover. Started long ago by a past CF member Cadillac Service Tech, AJXTCMAN.
Finally got into the trunk yesterday and grabbed a pict of the label. Haven't searched yet on how to decipher all the numbers.
Interestingly while removing the cabin air filter and repairing the air handler actuator, the 'Speed Limited to 90' error has come back up in the command console...
Boy, I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this beast.
Going to attempt to inspect the wiring for the CKP's today. Messed up my shoulder removing the drivers seat so it's slow going...

Trunk_Tag_001C.jpg

·
Administrator
70,751 Posts
And you have another oddball F45 FE1 SLS.

Active suspension, soft springs.

4700 Ohm 1/2 or 1 Watt resistors across the strut/shock chassis electrical connectors.

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally managed to get the actuator repaired and the interior put back together.
Had a bunch of leaves in the fan... unbelievable design there.
Manged to remove the cabin air filter(s). I won't even mention what my opinion on that lame design is...:mad2:

Took it for a 20 mile ride Saturday evening, mix of in-town and on the highway.
No stalls, surges, or anything like that.
The 'Speed Limited to 90' message is back, but not the 'Service Suspension System' message...

One thing I did notice is that on the Command Console the 'Battery' Voltage being shown would vary, from a high of 14.4V down to 13.4V.
Could a flaky alternator cause stalling problems?

Then this morning the wife drove into town and she has reported that it's stalled a couple of times and surged once.

Perhaps a decent mechanical exorcism?

And you have another oddball F45 FE1 SLS.

Active suspension, soft springs.

4700 Ohm 1/2 or 1 Watt resistors across the strut/shock chassis electrical connectors.
'Oddball' - Isn't that the truth?
Thanks for deciphering it for us.
I installed 1 Watt resistors.

·
Registered
1999 SLS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's now getting more frequent, after it warms up it's stalling out at most 'stops'.

Tried grabbing data for the O2 and Fuel Trim with Torque Pro and a Bluetooth OBDII adapter.
My 'regular' OBD reader is still in Texas, Son hasn't sent it back yet.

Grabbed these two shots, I'm not sure if they show anything useful.

Screenshot_2019-02-23-17-40-04__RC.png
Screenshot_2019-02-23-17-47-36__RC.png The was also another sensor that didn't show on the screen shot, 'Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term' value: -9.38%

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
For o2, need reading over time showing how voltages swing back and forth.

STFT should be read the same way, as it shows what the ecu is going to react to o2 readings.

LTFT is the only one of these that has some use with fixed timeframe pic. Yours are showing high percentage indicating a lean condition.

Likely causes (for stall at stop, in this order)
- Vacuum leak
- Fuel pressure
- o2 sensor
- MAF
- fuel injector (partially clogged since no ckp or misfire code)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts