Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville Limited Edition
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm after some info and a possible fix for this problem.

Driving at any speed is fine, no wobble or vibration.

Under braking - I apply the brakes with steady presure and the car wobbles from side to side and feels like the brakes are grabbing / releasing at the same time, it does this at any speed when braking, but more noticable at low speeds (under 20mph).

No pulsing in the foot peddle and no vibration in the steering wheel, the car just wobbles / rocks side to side when the brakes are applied.

I've replaced the anti-swaybar bushings and the end links at the front as they were worn, I was getting a loud knock / clunk when brakes were applied, but also had this brake problem as above.

Tires are good all round, they don't seem to be un-balanced as I don't get any symptoms of an un-balanced wheels. No bearing noises, no rattles or knocking noises. No sounds of anything lose. Steering is fine too.

Tire presure is to spec when cold.

Rotors are like new (year or so old) with no score marks, pads have plenty of life left in them, all the pads and rotors are wearing evenly.

Suspension is sound as well.

Any ideas anyone ? I am stuck on where / what to check next.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Have you cleaned the Rim/Hub mating surfaces?
I had a similar shimmy under light braking this spring. Cleaning these surfaces with a wire brush (dremel) seemed to help quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,576 Posts
If that does not help, check the bearings. I doubt they are bad or they'd be growling. I would have the rotors resurfaced. Just a very light skim cut is all that is needed. They may look good, but still have brake pad deposits on them that you can't see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll change the rotors and pads on the front and see what happens and check the calipers as well as it could be a piston thats sticking. Failing that, I'll change the rear pads and rotors to see if that cures the problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved my problem, the car is running sweet, I changed the front rotors and pads, seems the old rotors got too hot at some stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts