Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son drives a 1999 Seville that occasionally dies for no reason. There are no warning indicators and all power shuts off for a few seconds. After that, the lights/dashboard/etc. all come back on, and then he has to pull over to start the engine again. This is very random and there seem to be no common factors involved with each incident (for example, acceleration, temperature problem, etc.) Speeds seem to always be between 40 mph and 70 mph when it happens.

Before today, the last time this occurred was about two weeks ago. Several months ago, the dealer suggested switching from premium to mid-grade gasoline, which he did. That did not solve the problem. This past Friday, the Crankshaft Position Sensors were replaced in hopes that the problem would be solved. But the car died again today.

Any suggestions for possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wini

·
Registered
522 Posts
It must be electrical problem (because all instrument panel lights goes off).
Check battery cables/connections and junction box connections first...
Suggestion to change from premium to other gas :histeric: - i´m just wondering, how strupid can one dealer be???
Oh, yes - is there any error/malfunction codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your suggestion Vanaisa. We're thinking you're probably on the right track. There are no error or malfunction codes. Our next efforts may be directed at the ignition switch. Will see if it will die a time or two more to try a few things.

Thanks again,
Wini

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Eldo did the same thing and it was the crank sensors. somewhere there is thread on how to bull On board Computer data. I did this and it showed crank sensor failure. Dealer confirmed the crank sensor and repaired under warranty. I don't know what it cost.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Press OFF and WARMER at the same time..... It will then show the codes, so get a pen and paper ready!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
1999 Seville dies randomly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son drives a 1999 Seville that occasionally dies for no reason. There are no warning indicators and all power shuts off for a few seconds. After that, the lights/dashboard/etc. all come back on, and then he has to pull over to start the engine again. This is very random and there seem to be no common factors involved with each incident (for example, acceleration, temperature problem, etc.) Speeds seem to always be between 40 mph and 70 mph when it happens.
OK, better late than never - right???
I must have been living right because we drove the '99 STS into the dealership maintenance facility and turned off the car. The Service Mgr walked over and we had a short discussion about the symptoms. He went over to the car started the engine and was recording mileage, etc. when the car died. He turned the car off and started it several times - finally calling one of his Techs over to witness the problem.
The long and short, it was the security module at the end of the ignition switch. Apparently, some modules will loose electrical contact with the ignition switch itself and will cause the car to completely shutdown. The switch was replaced, and not a problem since! Life is GOOD!!!

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Holy crap! Are you the same person who was having the original issue 3 years ago??? Talk about a follow-up!

Yes, Ive heard the ignition module acts up in these cars alot and causes alot of funky stuff to happen. Of course, its a Cadillac as everyone tells me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, to be honest it was my wife who posted the original message. I was surfing and noticed that she hadn't posted the follow-up so for what it is worth, I decided to add something to the forum that would hopefully help someone else. I know that I was really befuddled by the whole experience when it was happening. Anyway, about $150 (as I recall) and it hasn't missed a lick since - other than my posting today about a replacement taillight lens that a kid with a shopping cart has required me to locate!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I replaced mine about 3 years ago. Those ignition switches have many electrical contacts in them that will wear. Additionally, the Class 2 bus goes through this switch. When it's contacts begin to wear, all sorts of intermittant problems occur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
tstach