Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado 1999
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, I found a thread for the 2001/2002 engines were it said that you should have a 26.5" long hinged dip stick. My dip stick in my '99 is a cable and is only 22.5" long from the o-ring to the tip. It doesn't even show any oil level after a 7.5qt. change? Part number for the right stick? Cable or hinged rod? Also the other thread talked about a "ring" at the top, mine has a "T" handle...

Can anyone tell me the correct length?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,149 Posts
Whatever stick you have, it's the wrong one. With a 7.5 quart oil/filter change you should show the correct level as

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =================== oo ========================]O

The 1998 and later engines used the same dipstick - www.car-part.com or talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

(some earlier engines used a plastic tipped stick - that's the wrong one for your year.)

Here's the number on my 2002 stick - 12560197 = 26.5" from tip to the collar at the finger ring.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
Don't ever recall seeing on with a T handle and if it shows no oil on the stick after an oil change it is definitely the wrong one. Oil should drop off the end of the stick at about 5 qts (maybe 5.5). Anything more than that should show on the stick.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The dipstick described is used (at least) in '96-'97 cars. It had a "T" handle, at one end and a brown plastic marking at the other end. In between is a thick cable (not a steel strip). I was sure this dipstick was used up to (including) '99, at least in Eldorado.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
:hmm: I remember the cable and the brown plastic lug at the end on my '97, but not the T handle. Then again, I have CRS.

EDIT:
Well I'll be dipped. Look at this! :bang2:

·
Registered
Eldorado 1999
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like #402 is just what I have, T-handle/cable/brown plastic indicator tip. However I still don't get an oil level reading on it? Were these available on different engines with different lengths?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts
Are you SURE you are not getting a reading? That poorly designed brown plastic tip makes it REALLY hard to tell sometimes. Been there, seen that (sometimes).

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Even though is brown EXACTLY the color of oil, you can still see it if is wet or not. I actually found it just as difficult to read as an all metal one.
I would pay attention maybe to the tube, could it bee the issue?

·
Registered
Eldorado 1999
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I changed the oil, I put 7.5qts. in and ran the engine to circulate. Let it sit and then checked the dip stick. Totally dry. Time before that my wife had the oil changed at a local shop. I checked the engine oil level and didn't see ANY oil on dipstick?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,149 Posts
You have the wrong dipstick OR the dipstick tube has been pulled from its push-fit hole in the side of the cylinder block, just above the oil pan gasket, on the front driver's side of the engine. If the dipstick TUBE is out of its hole, that effectively shortens the dipstick "dipping ability' - the same principle as lengthening or shortening a control cable outer case to change center cable travel.

As posted, with exactly 7.5 quarts of oil and a filter change the proper oil level (on the hashmarks) is here: < === XXXXXXXXX ====

Your post - "available on different engines, different lengths" - yes. But first check the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
This is the engine compartment of a '99 Eldorado. Note the "T" dipstick.

So you have the correct original dipstick with the "T" handle and the thick cable ending with the brown plastic, exactly the same as in my car. I just went to the garage (man is freezing outside) and measure it, from tip to the brim of the T handle is EXACTLY 23 1/16" (up to the "O" ring is exactly 22 3/4". That difference I don't know where it comes from but is pretty much the length between two markings (on the min/max scale), In this case you should see the level of 7.5q into the upper ADD range rather than normal. Just to be very clear what I measured, is the full length of the dipstick that goes into the tube as shown below:

My diagnosis, your measurements are a bit off (by ~1/4") and your dipstick tube (the tube not the dipstik!) is not in all the way (exactly what Sub indicated).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts