Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Englishman living in L.A. and have just fulfilled what is for many Englishmen, a dream - the purchase of a Cadillac. It is a 1999 DeVille, carriage style, gold finished, white diamond beauty!! It is a one owner vehicle, in excellent condition with 89,271 freeway miles and runs like a champ. The only issue is a "rattle" when stationary and in drive. The rattle is only audible when I put the window down and turn off the radio. It goes away when I am not stationary. On visual inspection I also notice that a pulley in the center of the side of the engine (maybe crankshaft pulley) seems to have excesive vibration. The engine does not leak oil and runs well. Appreciate any ideas on this issue. Many Thanks

·
Banned
16,105 Posts
Welcome, ahh 1999, the last year for those beautiful taillights. Where is the origin of the rattle, is it under "the bonnet" or in the cab? Myself I notice a little creaking when the driver's window is down a centimeter or so, but I don't think too much of it. If the dash started to rattle, it would drive me :bonkers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ralph said:
Welcome, ahh 1999, the last year for those beautiful taillights. Where is the origin of the rattle, is it under "the bonnet" or in the cab? Myself I notice a little creaking when the driver's window is down a centimeter or so, but I don't think too much of it. If the dash started to rattle, it would drive me :bonkers:
Had a mechanic look at it today - he had it up on a lift and says the rattle is nothing much. The crankshaft pulley is another story. The shaft
is running straight but the pully has a visible wobble in it. He says that he has seen this problem but not on a cadillac. He recommends I replace the pulley. He was able to tighten the end bolt a little but it still runs with a wobble. I think I will get an estimate on the pulley replacement.

The rattle is underneath the front half of the car - down low near the exhaust pipe - but he couldn't determine exactly where because he could hardly hear it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pulley was replaced and it now runs straight and without a wobble! - phew what a relief as I thought the crankshaft may be somehow bent. I am now a happy Cadillac owner!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts