Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mileage: 126,000
1999 Deville Concours

I recently became the fourth owner of this beautiful car. I have put a thousand miles on it since I bought it in December. Unfortunately, I have not been able to drive it since early in February. Fortunately it was in my driveway when it quit working and we have a back up vehicle, but it could break down any time so I am hoping I can iron this problem out soon and without spending 1-2k at a dealership for them to do things I can handle myself.

Unfortunately, I do not have a key fob for this car yet. I do have one ignition key which is slightly worn but which does not seem to have been giving me any problems.

1. A problem had developed with the headlights not turning off when they were supposed to. Perhaps this is due to a fault in the inadvertent power relay? It was late at night when I was parking the car and needed the lights to go off, and I didn't have the ability to deal with it at the time so I went to pull the headlight fuse / relay so the headlights would shut off for me. Like I said, I am glad I checked this when I was in my driveway because of what happened next. As soon as I started touching the fuse blocks (and the wires leading to them specifically) the injectors seemingly stopped firing thus shutting the motor off.

I say this because subsequent attempts to crank the car were characterized by plenty of engine turnover accompanied by the sound of fuel pump making pressure but no cylinder fire whatsoever. I feel like it is important to note that my jostling of the wires / fuse blocks seemed to trigger the fuel shut off. The shift tree lights were all flashing and the message said 'THEFT SYSTEM PROBLEM CAR MAY NOT RESTART'.

2. I did not have the time or cash to deal with this problem at the time, so we have been relying on our high mileage and iffy backup car since. I took out the relays and sprayed the connections with fluid film to clean any corrosion, but that didn't seem to help at the time either so I walked away.

In the past two days I have had the chance to finally get back under the hood, and I will describe what has happened.

I tried to hook up OBD 2 code scanner and got nothing but Error message.

The first thing I did after initial failed start attempt was go back and start to move around the large red wires (which I should mention had some aftermarket electrical tape slapped on troublingly over a since-removed lazy splice in) and then tried to start it again. I noticed immediately that the shift tree was not lighting all the way up. When that engine fired right up on the first try I was pretty sure I had homed in on the problem and I thought it was the splice in on the red wire. Now it would run for a few seconds but it was still cutting off within about 30 seconds.

I went ahead and cut the red wire since there were a couple of strands already cut and threw in a yellow butt splice. Well, turns out I probably could have left the crappy splice in and it probably wouldn't have affected anything because I started it again no problem but then it shut off again.

I was told to check ground wire coming from starter to body and to battery, seems completely solid to me with no give at all.

I picked up a relay so I could check the inadvertent power relay and IGN 1 relays to see if swapping for new relay fixed problem, and that did not help either.

Since getting it to run those few times yesterday, things have changed slightly.

3. Where I'm at now:

For one,

When I turn the key now I USUALLY do not see the theft system problem message at first. Fuel pump comes on as it is supposed to and only the P lights up like it is supposed to. Nothing is flashing. However, as soon as I turn the key forward all the dash lights go out and most of the car temporarily loses power. Also, I say usually this is how it goes because sometimes I still get the theft system problem message coming up.

I have tried moving those same wires around again over and over and it is not seeming to have any effect anymore. I have double and triple checked that the battery itself has clean terminals and is tightly connected to the wires and whatnot.

Someone told me to check the ground strap, but I think I already mentioned above that the big black wire coming from the starter to battery and to the frame looks A.O.K. and feels fine when I try to wiggle it it won't move at all.

Where should I try to dig deeper on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed!

The problem with losing dash lights was loose pos battery wire on starter.

The theft system problem was corrosion on fuses in injector block!!

Hope this info helps. Dealer would have charged me a grand I am sure.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sorry someone didn't catch you earlier.

belatedly, Welcome Aboard !!! :highfive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts