Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
deville
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I just lower the Engine frame on the left side to have enough room to remove the trans or drop the whole frame to get at it. I don't have a hoist.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
Can I just lower the Engine frame on the left side to have enough room to remove the trans or drop the whole frame to get at it. I don't have a hoist.
--------------------------
drop the entire cradle with engine and trans -
then lift the car up and pull the cradle out -

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
In order to do what you're "attempting" you'll need a transverse bar to hold the engine/ trans in place once it's tilted into position.

Even then, it's still a balancing act of removal and re-insertion. The 4t80e is 400lbs+ by itself.

The transverse bar will have to be attached by some "unique" methods due to the fact there are barely any attaching points to hold the motor.

The sub frame will have to be completely removed for more clearance....

In the grande scheme of things it can be done, with some ingenuity

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
While it CAN be removed without the entire drivetrain out of the car, I would suggest to drop the cradle. Much easier without proper lift/tools.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You can just drop the one side to get it out but there is more work to it then that.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Post 3 has it right. It's the most efficient way. It'll save you enough time compared to dropping the whole thing that you could even afford to build the support bar yourself and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
I watched a gentleman build a support bar out of wood. I don't recall the size of wood, but it was THICK. He bolted it together when he figured out the length he needed and used SEATBELTS as slings to hold the motor.

I wouldn't suggest going this route, but it can be done.

I rather play safe than sorry......

·
Registered
deville
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't beleive the trans is 400lbs +! I use to do i25 and 440 trans back in the 90s. I know the mechanics at cadillac pull the engine and trans together but they have a hoist and pull it from the bottom with a special tool to holds them. With the engine and trans together, it got to weigh about a 1,000 or more lbs. I got a front end air jack that will give me enough height to get it out. I need to replace the engine and was hoping to pull the trans out from the bottom and the engine from the top. I wish they would have made a split frame where you could remove or swing half of it out of the way,drop the engine down using a engine support tool, which I have, and pull the trans out. I guess GM doesn't want us to work on these Cadillacs! I thank everybody for their replys. Has anybody pull the 4.6 engine out of a 1999 Sedan DeVille?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts