Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1999 Deville
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ac was fine yesterday but today I started the car and there was an refrig low ac off message. I disconnected the battery pos termminal for a few seconds to get the compressor to turn back on and added a 1 lb can of r134a. everything seems ok now and I squirted soapy water on all the ac fittings that I could see in the engine compartment and there were no visible leaks. But I must have a leak somewhere in the system. Does anyone know if there is some known fairly common leak areas in this system? thanks

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
433 Posts
Soapy water is a good check, I have many years in industrial gas/refrigeration. SOP. Cheaper than sniffers.
It's most likely a fitting, but... many components.
It could be very small, may take some time to lose enough to trip it again.

Personally, I would put some gauges on, check periodically, see how much it changes over time.
Had a car that went low at 2 year intervals til I changed out hoses.
Check the 'swaged' areas, as much of the hose itself as well.

·
1999 Deville
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I put a 1 lb can of R134A in it 2 months ago but it was still coming out cold but I wanted it colder since I live in desert. I will see how long this last charge lasts. If it lasts a short time I will add a good sealant since It is too tough a job for me to check the fittings at the compressor and anything else that i can't get my hands on under the hood. maybe that will keep it charged for a few months. At $55 -$100 per hour labor a vehicle this old isn't worth spending $1000 or more for something like this. It has only 74k miles on it and it is still like new although the rubber on the torque struts was brittle and broken off in chunks because of the age and the previous owner lived by the ocean. I was hoping that the leak was at the high pressure port that screws in. it uses an o-ring seal . my Jeep had a leak in the same place due to a deteriorated o-ring seal and it was an easy fix. i will keep this thread going if the time comes to add some sealant mixed with R134A refrigerant. Thanks again for your responses.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Might want to read these links before using a stop leak in your A/C system. It can work, but has down sides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts