Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the dreaded "LOW REGRIG - A/C OFF" message showing for quite some time on the Cadillac. A mechanic did a pressure test on it and said that it did not seem to have any leaks, and offered to refill for $250. Instead, I decided to do a simple refill myself with Arctic Freeze, and after seemingly successful in refilling, I am seeing some odd behavior and would love advice!

Here is what I did:

1. Started the car, put the AC/Fan to High
2. Checked the pressure, it was low (about 10)
3. Filled with Arctic Freeze to between 45-50
4. Disconnected battery (to reset the car systems and stop the "LOW REGRIG - A/C OFF" message
5. Turn car back on and set AC/Fan to High

Result:
1. No more message, but still blowing warm air.
2. I was hearing a clicking noise every 8 seconds and I could hear what I am assuming is the compressor running.
3. I reconnected the pressure gauge, and the pressure was fine until the click. When there was a loud click (every 8 seconds), the pressure would drop way down (to around 10) and then immediately go back up to around 45-50).

Can anyone tell me what is happening? Any directions or next steps would be fantastic, and thank you all in advance for taking the time to read through this!

-Tony

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Yes. I think you are understanding the A/C operations wrong. Your system is severely undercharged (as expected by just using a portion of a can to bring the low side to 45-50 in an empty system). In a short version the A/C produces cold air using the pressure differences between the high and low side. Just having the low side "charged" to 45 tells nothing about the condition of the entire system other than it's got not enough refrigerant.

The first step would be getting a proper manifold gauge set instead of using the dinky little "gauge" on a can, if you're serious about it. Autozone has one for rent but sometimes they are contaminated or missing essential accessories so check it very carefully. Ask for a different set if the little window looks like it has crud in it or any of the valve port connectors are missing. You might have to purchase a refrigerant can tapping kit if it's not included. They also have vacuum pumps for rent which is essential for repairing a leaked out system. Harbor Freight has a new gauge set for like $60.

Without the proper gauge set you risk incorrectly filling the system or missing an obvious trouble signs causing potential danger of possible explosion. You just cannot use the gauge on the can at all for repairs like this. A/C system deals with very high pressures and should be tackled very carefully and it should be monitored during any repair/maintenance at all times, but by no means it is impossible for DIYers if you know what you are doing and you have proper equipment.

If you do decide to tackle this with a proper gauge set I can write some detailed instructions for you. Also if you do want to perform this work yourself, ditch the overpriced Arctic Freeze scam and get some el-cheapo Walmart r134a cans $4.88/12oz that'll do the exact same job with a proper gauge set. You also need to find out how much the system is supposed to take, it's usually written on a label on top of the dryer/accumulator if it wasn't changed. If I remember correctly it was about 2.0 lb but it might be different for each car/model.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, ','95 eldo,' ,'11CTS-V,'66 corvair.'03 deville,'00 deville
2,095 Posts
What is Arctic Air? R-12? R134? Propane?
What you're seeing at 40# is the STATIC charge, not the running (operating) pressure.
What you're hearing is the compressor cutting in and out.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,454 Posts
"Arctic Freeze Ultra Synthetic Automotive Refrigerant 134a comes with the essentials you need to recharge your automotive air conditioning system. ... It replaces lost R-134A refrigerant and oil. The system-safe leak sealer additive closes common air conditioning system leaks in rubber hoses, gaskets and O-rings."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts