Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Deville 275 HP has 103000 miles on it . Is it time to change the plugs and wires? Over the last 6 monthes I have noticed my gas milage is down a bit , even though the car starts and runs as good as always . And if it is time what kind should I install ?
Thanks in advance for any info on this issue .
RRG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you . So if I go to a parts place and ask for AC delco they will know which ones to give me ?
RRG

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the white emmision sticker underhood should list the proper number for spark plugs.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Thank you . So if I go to a parts place and ask for AC delco they will know which ones to give me ?
RRG
I think the platinums are AC Delco 41-950 - that's what came out of my 99 STS. Tell them you want what is in the car now. If they can't figure it out, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys . And Ranger you are right , the plugs are only $40 plus shipping but the wires are $103 plus shipping . Anyway thats not bad for 8 years of driving . I was going to trade it in on another "year old one" , but I found out mine is not worth anything to the dealers . So since it works and looks like new I will drive it another 8 years . Even with the chance of costly repairs , financially it's a no brainer .
RRG

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
Just incase you are thinking that $103 is high for the wires, check with a dealer parts dept. I never though plug wires could be that expensive. It's no wonder the dealers are getting $500 for a "tune up".

·
Registered
'05 Tahoe, supercharged 88 Mustang, 92 Silverado
77 Posts
Thread back from the dead...I was just quoted $299 at the local dealer for plugs and wires for my 1998 Deville.

I will be contacting Rockauto instead.

Scott

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Are those those wires made of platnium instead of copper?? That's ridiculus

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
Aron, There is no copper in modern EMI spark plug wires. It's usually spiral wound s/s over a ferrite powder/fiberglass conductive core.

As to cost, scott said he went to a dealer. For your information and education, take a look at the ACDelco prices for his car wires in www.rockauto.com. Add that to around $40 (mail order) for platinum tipped spark plugs and $299 is cheap for a Northstar dealer job. The labor alone is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, so there's $160 right there.

·
Registered
'05 Tahoe, supercharged 88 Mustang, 92 Silverado
77 Posts
As to cost, scott said he went to a dealer. For your information and education, take a look at the ACDelco prices for his car wires in www.rockauto.com. Add that to around $40 (mail order) for platinum tipped spark plugs and $299 is cheap for a Northstar dealer job. The labor alone is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, so there's $160 right there.
All due respect but $299 is VERY high for those parts (that quote was parts only) so to have plugs and wires done at my dealer would've been almost $500, and to me that's simply unacceptable. The wires and plugs are on the way as I type this for $140 total, and it will take me less than an hour to change them.

I love my Deville, but I've pulled the motor from my truck and swapped the oil pan on it for less time and money than that.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts