Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Catera Sport 1998 Catera
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site for posting, but have been looking for answers for a while. I have a 1999 catera sport and I have a 1998 catera. The sport has low miles and a good engine and trans, and the 98 I think has a blown trans. I will be checking it better as soon as I get time. Barely pulls after it shifts from first gear. I havent gotten under yet to check fluid and this sort of stuff. I am familiar with cateras, but just purchased this one because the previous owner told him his mechanic said the trans was blown. I forgot that in 99 cadillac went to wire gas feed and obviously made some more changes. It looks like the engine will swap over, but i dont see anywhere what the difference is in the transmissions. Can someone enlighten me on if this swap is possible or what the differences are?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
The '99 Sport is rare but being a Catera
it's not considered valuable though I like it a lot.

If your question is whether the transmissions are different they're not. As you said the '99 is drive by wire so the computers are different. Ignition is by individual coils on plugs instead of by coil pack. The top plenum has a longer nose and its Multi Ram intake is an upgrade. The timing belt tensioner was redesigned after a recall due to seizures as was the water pump. I believe there was a change from canister to spin on oil filters but I can't say when.

Internally the L81 V6s are identical through the entire production run. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this does help a little bit however my big question is more about the compatibility of a 1999 through 2001 transmission. I'm trying to find out if there's any structural differences or electronic differences that would make it incompatible to use in one of the older 97 or 98 cateras

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Also, blown transmission is pretty vague. Likely said to sell you a new one. Sounds to me it's going into limp mode. I recommend cleaning the range selector first. If that's not it then replace the shift solenoids. Of course pull any CEL codes before spending any cash. Check past threads regarding the transmission.

----------

this does help a little bit however my big question is more about the compatibility of a 1999 through 2001 transmission. I'm trying to find out if there's any structural differences or electronic differences that would make it incompatible to use in one of the older 97 or 98 cateras
No differences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove the car last night and it seems to slip in second gear. First gear is fine. When I let off the gas I can actually feel the transmission grabbing more. I'm going to try to check the codes when I get a chance. I pulled the plug and the trans fluid is full but does smell burned. I don't trust the car dealer that the kid I bought it from. When you turn the key on I don't even see a check engine light display. It never comes on. I have had the range selector issue in past. It's not limp mode. No flashing s light either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The codes read solenoid error so I swapped out the transmissions. Corrected the issue. I didn't really want to take apart my wrecked sport just for a transmission. I will save those parts for my next catera. lol. got a transmission from a local junk yard for 75 dollars so it worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts