Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me something about this car? Some opinions? is the car too floaty? (I really dont mind it being a land yacht. I kinda like not feeling the potholes and think it would be kinda cool to be tipping from side to side as if in a boat lol) I dont want the center console, and I want the Hood ornamant and column shifter, so bye bye 300 hp. Is the 275 hp enough accelaration? I mean I dont want any speed demon, I mostly want a big luxurious hog if I buy a car like this. I like the FWD cause its better in the snow and theres no lump. I like the 1999 model because 1)its cheaper 2)its the last year model for that generation 3)its more traditional than the current one (floaty suspension and real fins) 4)people might get mad at us for having two new Cadillacs. :rolleyes: (They'll think we're 80 years old) I dont plan on getting any 20s though, just stock. Maybe some engine work. I heard its good in a straight line, but not in the curves. Screw it! The curves by our house our extremely sharp and very bumpy with potholes, so it would be kinda fun going 50 mph on a sharp turn, at a 45 degree angle. I wouldnt feel a single pothole. So the point is dont convince me on a newer STS because I'll take the land yacht. Will I have any regrets?:
 

·
Watching the Watchers
Joined
·
5,959 Posts
i like the pre 2000 devilles, i dont think you'll be sorry. I like the styling alot, and although im not sure of actual numbers, they do seem roomier than the 2000+ models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:
LOL those 91 Fleetwoods are HOT! I love the fins on them and the styling. Its a TRUE Cadillac. I just cant picture ever owning one though.
Drive mine, and you will want to own one.:D The fins and skirts are really what seem to make it distinctive, "Light Antelope" color doesn't hurt either. Don't mind my rambling, I am still getting over the fact that I am fortunate enough to own and experience on of these cars.:banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So? Which will I be happiest with? The 91 Fleetwoood, the 96 Fleetwood, or the 99 Deville? Japan is a leader of ship building for water but America is the leader of ship building for land!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
You probably won't be able to find a '91 with decent low mileage (I'm open to offers) By '96 do you want RWD or FWD? Personally I like the '99 'cause last year for the classy tailights, nice styling, etc. My dad's new DTS seems very sporty and racy in styling, while the older ones seem more classy and elaborate. IMO. What is available in your area and how much do they want?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not sure if I want FWD or RWD. RWD is a lot better for peroformance, but the 99 DeVille is already better than the 96 fleetwood for performance. FWD is better for the annual snow we get way down here. Yes, it snows in North Carolina. I really want the LT1 though because you can upgrade it more. (right?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:
I'm not sure if I want FWD or RWD. RWD is a lot better for peroformance, but the 99 DeVille is already better than the 96 fleetwood for performance. FWD is better for the annual snow we get way down here. Yes, it snows in North Carolina. I really want the LT1 though because you can upgrade it more. (right?)
That's what I hear, but you need to talk to Katshot about the upgrades, I would be interested in some as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:
So? Which will I be happiest with? The 91 Fleetwoood, the 96 Fleetwood, or the 99 Deville? Japan is a leader of ship building for water but America is the leader of ship building for land!
It's subjective, you will have to look at all, test drive and make a decision. You cannot go wrong since they are all Caddies.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
The '99 Deville is better than the '96 Fleetwood for PERFORMANCE???? I wouldn't say that.
The Deville is a nice enough car but the RWD Fleetwood will provide:
1. A nicer ride
2. Equal performance (stock vs stock)
3. Studier platform
4. Safer platform
5. Better durability
6. Much more performance upgrades available

You know, I was trying to think of a situation where the FWD Deville would be a better choice but unless you either just gotta have FWD, or just don't want the extra size of the RWD Fleetwood, I can't think of any, sorry.

To me, the RWD Fleetwood was the last REAL Cadillac in as much as it screamed CADILLAC from it's size, to it's styling. There's nothing "high-tech" about the RWD Fleetwood and it makes NO APOLOGIES ABOUT IT !!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
The FWD will do better in snow, if thats a perk.

IMO, you shouldnt be driving your caddy in the snow anyway!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
The '99 Deville is better than the '96 Fleetwood for PERFORMANCE

To me, the RWD Fleetwood was the last REAL Cadillac in as much as it screamed CADILLAC from it's size, to it's styling. There's nothing "high-tech" about the RWD Fleetwood and it makes NO APOLOGIES ABOUT IT !!!!! :D

Personally, I like the looks of the DeVille WAY better! And regardless of opinions to the contrary FWD/RWD BOTH have their strong points!.......So, It's very subjective I.M.O.


We're allowed to have an opinion here....Right?
 

·
Watching the Watchers
Joined
·
5,959 Posts
I like the styling of the Deville better, the later year Fleetwoods seemed to bulbous, i like the 80's models and the FWD is fine with me. Frankly, I've never been in my Cadillac thinking "Oh, if I only had RWD I could....".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
The '91 Fleetwood Brougham was a classic design that had been in place since '77. Dad had a '77, '81 (cdv), and then an '84. They were all DeVilles, but still the same body, frame, and engine that the Fleetwood had, they were just missing a few interior perks.

Believe it or not, there are still several early 90's Broughams out there with less than 50,000 miles. I see one pop up on eBay about once every other month. If you really want one, be patient. It's worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Elvis said:
The '91 Fleetwood Brougham was a classic design that had been in place since '77. Dad had a '77, '81 (cdv), and then an '84. They were all DeVilles, but still the same body, frame, and engine that the Fleetwood had, they were just missing a few interior perks.

Believe it or not, there are still several early 90's Broughams out there with less than 50,000 miles. I see one pop up on eBay about once every other month. If you really want one, be patient. It's worth it.
To be honest, the '92 Fleetwood Brougham is a GREAT car. We had enormous success with them. They were a little down on power but EXTREMELY reliable cars as a whole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
kcnewell said:
Personally, I like the looks of the DeVille WAY better! And regardless of opinions to the contrary FWD/RWD BOTH have their strong points!.......So, It's very subjective I.M.O.


We're allowed to have an opinion here....Right?
.......FWD/RWD BOTH have their strong points!......

Ok, so lets hear the "strong points" for the FWD ;)
Here's your chance slick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
RWD SUCKS in ice and snow
FWD is nice in ice and snow
I kinda like the flat floor in the cockpit
RWD is fine and so is FWD There are handling differences but in the real world of everyday driving they're neglegable. In drag racing FWD has major limitations but in reality how many people drag race their Cadillacs? I race from time to time but it always seems to be from a rolling start in which case FWD/RWD is irrelevant....My car is fast so is yours! The dreaded torque steer that everyone complains about takes about 5 minutes to get used to and then It's irrelevant!
I'm not that concerned with it. If Cadillac made a nice looking powerful car with RWD that would be nice and I would probably buy one....They don't! I'll continue to buy and be happy with FWD untill they build a RWD that suits me. Hope that's good enough for you....It's all I have to say about it.
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
75 Replies
10 Participants
HotRodSaint
Top