Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just bought a cadillac seville and i love it so far, but there are minor *hopefully* things that are annoying me.

1stly when i start it up and i sit there with it, it makes an odd "pump" sound everyonce in awhile... i think its because i have like so little gas in it :p but i was just wondering if this could possibly be some more?

2nd problem is that im trying to change the name on the interface thing behind the steeringwheel, atm its on the old owner's name, and i would like to change it to something else, i read the manual, it didnt really help me.. bassically says press on/off thing then a msg for driver one should come up.. but it doesnt.. any help?

and last problem is that i set the seat to something that is comfertable for me, and put it in the memory, but when ever i shut off the car the whole seat moves.. is there a way i can stop it from doing that? its an old car and i dont want the motor to blow or something XD

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,586 Posts
1stly when i start it up and i sit there with it, it makes an odd "pump" sound everyonce in awhile... i think its because i have like so little gas in it :p but i was just wondering if this could possibly be some more?
Need more info. That's not enough to go on.

2nd problem is that im trying to change the name on the interface thing behind the steeringwheel, atm its on the old owner's name, and i would like to change it to something else, i read the manual, it didnt really help me.. bassically says press on/off thing then a msg for driver one should come up.. but it doesnt.. any help?
Unless you have a $3500 Tech II scanner, only the dealer can change that.

and last problem is that i set the seat to something that is comfertable for me, and put it in the memory, but when ever i shut off the car the whole seat moves.. is there a way i can stop it from doing that?
That's the EXIT mode setting in the memory. Check the owners manual and read up on feature programming. You can set the exit position to whatever you want to make egress easier or you can turn it off. You could also set the exit position to the same as your driving position, then it won't move when you shut the car off as it is already in the exit position.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,948 Posts
Yep ^^^^

Depends on where the "pump sound" is coming from. It's either the AIR system - that pump which supplies fresh air to the intake manifolds to quickly light off the cat on cool/cold startup, or it's the ELC - Electronic Level Control - in the right rear doing its startup proveout and preload of the rear shock boots; however if that system occasionally "pumps" with no additional loads in the trunk or back seat then you have system leaks in the compressor head, the shock air lines, or the shock boots themselves.

You may want to read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up inn the black bar ^^^, as much of this Forum as you can digest, and also down in Cadillac Discussions: Tech Tips and Northstar performance.

All 3 of your questions are discussed in those Forums within the past 3 weeks.

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
86,586 Posts
It's either the AIR system - that pump which supplies fresh air to the intake manifolds to quickly light off the cat on cool/cold startup
Haven't had your coffee yet Sub? I think you meant exhaust manifolds.

·
Administrator
67,948 Posts
Ahhhhhh......yup. Senior moment. I supply my own gas to the intake manifold........

Laptopping it now - just drove 4:30 down to Norfolk, VA for stepdaughter's b'day..............

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hi i need some more help, i think my engine may be starting to knock,i started up my Seville and the engine is making a tick tick tick tick sound in idle. is this bad?

EDIT: after further investigating the noise, it doesn't sound to be any major problem. it was only in idle and the sound sort of faded away as it warmed up.. i guess it is just what those types of engines do? idk, any help would do.

it sort of sounds like
youtube.com/watch?v=_XUZH2pk3dQ&feature=related
but it doesnt sound as loud or not as fast.. but i think it might just be the oil or something?

·
Administrator
67,948 Posts
If you can do some searching using the forum engine or Google "cadillac forums XXXXXXX" where XXXXXXX is your problem, see if you can find reference to "cold carbon rap".

Then go up in the black bar ^^^ at the top of the Forums and read the ENTIRE Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the article "occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine".

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i searched the Cadillac technical archive, no help with anything strange sound related =/ i also searched the forums for a strange tick sound in the engine and nothing helped.

and it isnt even that cold outside so it cant be cold weather causing the tick. anyone know what it could be?

·
Administrator
67,948 Posts
"Cold carbon rap" doesn't refer to "cold weather carbon rap" - It's a phenomenon associated with babied or high mileage Northstars at cold start - anything less than 160 degrees coolant temp, and it comes from carbon deposits on the piston crown: the engine has a very small quench clearance, so any carbon buildup tends to make noise until the engine reached operating temperature.

From your reply it is obvious that you did not read the recommended article in the Cadillac Technical Archive, as the article directly addresses "cold carbon rap" and its causes. In its early stages it sounds very suspiciously like the old valve lifter tick, and as time goes on it becomes a distinct "rap". Your description, including the noise fading at warmup, is typical. Not that that's your problem, but it's one avenue of diagnosis.....................

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ohhhhh, i see... well my caddy DOES have 134,000 miles. i just bought it a couple days ago for $3,500 and its my first caddy so i was REALLY suspicious on what the noise was. this wouldn't be a huge problem right? could i just get it fixed, and if so about how much do you think it would cost me?

·
Super Moderator
86,586 Posts
Cold carbon rap only lasts for about 60 seconds or so. If that is your problem, no it's not a huge one. The cost to fix it is a few ounces of gas and a very heavy foot. Read up on the "FULL THROTTLE ACCELERATION IS GOOD FOR YOUR CAR" in the Technical Archives that Sub pointed you to.

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill do that, thanks guys. when i get it on the road ill also take it to a local mechanic to get a quick analysis. when i step on the gas it isnt there. so i know it isnt a rod or anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts