Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, used to have a different name here. But anyhow. Hopefully someone can help. I have replaced the rear brakes; pads, caliper, rotor. However, I need to replace the front brakes now, just pads and rotors. Any tips, tricks or anything to expect would be helpful. The rears werent too hard, but I always have rotten luck with fronts for some reason. The last time they were done, it seems the rotor warped something to do with solvent used on the rotor, so every time I hit the brakes it would shake, so Im looking forward to that being gone. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Frts are easier than the rears IMO, remove calipers, caliper mounts and have the rotors turned. Reinstall making sure to lube slide pins and use brake cleaner to remove your greasy finger prints from rotors before you put the wheels back on(prob wasn't done and can cause issues if there is grease/oil on the rotors).

·
Registered
STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Chris, I believe I purchased some parts from you a year or so ago. Stabilizer bars if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
306 Posts
I've replaced both the front pads/rotors and the rear pads/rotors quite a few times on my 98 Seville STS, and the only things that I really found to be more difficult are tightening the caliper mounting bolts to the proper torque specs, and the fact that the front calipers are much heavier than the rear.

The front brakes wear more often since they absorb a lot more of the braking force than the rear brakes.

·
Registered
93 and 02 Eldorado
240 Posts
New rotors are so inexpensive nowadays that to me it's not worth the effort to have them turned, Even though new aftermarket unit will be made in China like just about everything else we buy today!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I don't think ANY rotors are made in the U.S. anymore.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
New rotors are so inexpensive nowadays that to me it's not worth the effort to have them turned, Even though new aftermarket unit will be made in China like just about everything else we buy today!
I pay 36 bucks for all 4 rotors turned. I have bought extra set over the years with money saved and have em turned when I need to do brakes so zero down time.

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
I used something similar to SUM-BR-62055R & SUM-BR-62055L (which are the part #'s for your car thru SummitRacing) and I have never been happier.
I used these pads to go along with them PWR-16-753.
FANTASTIC brake response and pedal feel.

Summit has both in stock for your car (I used your car to look up the part #'s) and ships quickly.

·
Registered
1999 STS
56 Posts
As everyone says they are easy. If you did the back ones the fronts are no different. Just make sure you turn your steering wheel in a direction you can get to your bolts easily.

I just repladced mine with drilled and slotted rotors because mine were out of balance. I chose to go this route and not have them turned because well, they were originals and I wanted drilled and slotted. For brakes and rotors I think I paid maybe 380 bucks.

·
Registered
STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. I wouldve had the rotors turned, but they are so old and with the shaking issue I decided it was best to just get new ones. We are expecting a pretty nasty storm here on friday, so Im hoping I can get it up on the lift by then.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,406 Posts
Be advised that new rotors - new pads - are nowhere near their maximum braking capacity until broken in. Depending on your time and driving habits that can take from one day, 150 miles of dedicated break-in or two weeks of city commuting.

Have you gone out on the highway and done several aggressive stops from 60 or so ? Rotors can develop pad resin transfer spots which leads to uneven braking and shuddering. Perform 3 or 4 heavy braking stops from speed and do NOT hold the brakes on at the end of each stop - you want to scrub the rotors and that takes heat and force. Drive for 4 or 5 miles after the last stop in order to cool the rotors.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
:yeah:

a more detailed version of that can be found in the Cadillac Technical Archives (up at the top of each forum page in the black header)

·
Registered
STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent yet changed the pads and rotors. Hoping to do it friday night or saturday morning. We have a nasty storm heading our way tomorrow. I will make sure to do the suggested stopping procedure, I live in a pretty rural area, so I can rack up 150 miles pretty easily in a matter of days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts