Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its been hot here in L.A. all week and yesterday i was driving my STS with the a/c on all afternoon. i kept smelling coolant when i read my DIC and it said to "Check Coolant Level" i then noticed that coolant was leaking from a black box underneath the dash on the passenger side, i think my a/c is blown because theres like steam coming in through the vents and it wants to over heat but when i put coolant it just leaks out from that black box.

can anyone diagnose this problem before i take it in to the shop?

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Heater core busted. You can replace it yourself if your handy with tools otherwise find the cheapest shop that can do it for you.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought so...thanks for the reply bro. btw, is the heater core easy to get to?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
I believe you have to remove the lower part of the console and dash, then into the heat/air conditioning ducting.

If you try the replacement you'll need a Helm/GM Factory Service Manual for your car - eBay or www.helminc.com.

Look on the firewall directly behind the center of the engine. There are two aluminum A/C pipes and two heater/coolant pipes down there. The heater core comes out through the console/dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts