1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I have found tonight while looking at Seville stuff:

Seville

It's a review of the Seville STS by Jeremy Clarkson himself. It's not nearly as brutal as I was expecting.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Ah not Clarkson again…everything that is American is “rubbish”. The Cadillac 16 is to luxurious and powerful (witch is a bad thing) comparing to the what ever wonderful 200 HP BMW… The STS handles like a pig, and the CTS V is so cheap, while the new CTS V is pointless to have so much power.
Well they kind of … kind of … redeemed themselves with the last US episode with the Corvette, Challenger and CTS V, also the Ford GT was not bad either.
Any way, you can NOT say Cadillac is some kind of mix of Accura and MB, who the heck is Accura, I don’t remember hearing about Accura 20 years ago…

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I love that he wants to trash the car so badly, but can't get past how great the engine sounds. One of the things I love most about mine as well.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I find it funny that the part he loves the MOST about the car, turned out to be the least reliable bit of kit in it. I also thought the excerpt "...as reliable as a Mercedes" was absolutely oxymoronic. I agree 100 percent about the engine sound though, few things come remotely close.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Here is something from our days...:bouncy:
Cadillac is just better :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually agree with most of his review on the car. The brakes are absolutely terrible and the car does get tiring to drive unless you're driving purely on the interstate. The motor does have a mesmerizing sound and I love flooring mine as well, even if it does cost me a new motor mount every year.

Great cars, even if you do have to put up with a bunch of stupid little crap.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado
440 Posts
I hate Top Gear. The bias is so terrible. He exagerates the bad things about every American car he gets his hands on. He made it appear that you hit the pedal to the floor and you have to wait forever for power. It's just frustrating. He does a good job of pointing out the flaws, but the bias makes me want to strangle him.

·
Registered
59,60,73,2000sts,2001sts,1999omega/catera
189 Posts
as far as the time delay on kick down is concerned im afraid i agree with clarkson,you have to plan your overtaking moves carefully to allow for the fact that it will take approx 5-10 seconds for the box to react.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never really noticed that on my car before, but when I get it back I'll have to see. On the video it did seem like the car hesitated before decided to move. The Seville would have hugely benefited with a 5 speed automatic gearbox.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
my 03 kicks down every time
if you know when to hit it *MPH and RPM wise* as well as actually kick it down with the lever, you itll kick down EVERY time...

its basically called drive your car learn where its glory zones are and make sure your in it when you go for it..

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
You are right here CadillacSTS2003, I use to drive (years ago) a 53HP European car, there was a certain zone (the butter zone) where the car was 20% more than any other (not any other car obviously, any other zone).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,101 Posts
Yeah, the shift time thing is curious - regardless of load or speed, when I punch the STS it reacts instantly. ................and it does so whether I have TC on or off.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I believe he is referring to the downshift time, like when cruising along and all of a sudden you press the gas pedal quite generously, little hesitation…then hell on earth, but that’s just AT for you. The actual shifting time is excellent to say the least. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado
440 Posts
You should know your gearbox well enough to know where the kickdowns happen. If I want a first gear kickdown, I can't be going faster than 33mph. I can manually put the lever there anywhere up to ~40 though.

I never rely on the auto for passing, i usually throw it into second and ride in second when i anticipate a chance and floor it from second. Instant power.

I believe he hit the gas in the video at the dead spot around 40-50mph. It's too fast for first but really too slow for second to be in high enough rpms's to make some grunt. Although, the power is nothing substandard at any rpm. I reiterate the bias against all things American.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
That guy is an idiot. If you floor the accelerator on a N* -- it will fly. And if you don't like the Merlette Masseuse -- turn it OFF and quit yer bitchin'.

At least he did somewhat redeem himself w/his praise of the N*'s siren song.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
I make to attempt to hide the fact that I love the show (in its current format that is, that clip was from the "old" Top Gear)... In fact, I just finished watching the new episode which aired earlier this evening.

As for Clarkson... I like him and can appreciate him for what he is and does. As such, I can't necessarily fault him for his stance on most American cars - just look at his audience. Besides, it's not as if his opinions are any worse than many of the biased, anti-domestic dimwits who live here.

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
I love top gear, but they are so biased when it comes to american cars, especially when it comes to interiors. Watch their review on the escalade, it's pretty funny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts