Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 Seville SLS with 68,000 miles will occasionally run hotter than normal. When this happens, after I park and shut the car off, coolant is expelled from under the cap of the coolant reservoir. I also noticed today that the electric fan behind the radiator doesn't seem to ever come on.
Is it normal for coolant to come out from under the coolant reservoir cap and do I need to replace the cap? Where can I look to see if the fan operates, or under what conditions should it come on? Maybe it needs the cooling system flushed or thermostate replaced? I know that head gaskets are a problem sometimes on these cars, but the oil is clean, and there is no white smoke from the exhaust or a "slimy" coating inside the exhaust pipes. In the winter time, with the heater in use, it never runs hot or expels coolant. The car runs great in all other respects, and gets good gas mileage. There are no other coolant leaks, or for that matter any fluid leaks of any kind. The car saw limited use the last seven years, accumulating only 20,000 miles in that time. I purchased it last November with 67,000 miles.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Turn on the AC... The fans should be running.

If the fans are working, I would order a block test (NAPA or online) to rule out HGs before I try chasing everything else down.

DO NOT FLUSH ANYTHING. DRAIN AND REFILL.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
The Northstar rarely puts coolant in the oil when the head gasket goes and the symptoms you mentioned usually don't show in the early stages. Get a block test kit from Napa and check for exhaust gases in the coolant before spending any more money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts