Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! After charging the battery on my 1998 Cadillac Seville the display is blank. There is a clicking sound coming from the dashboard. The car drives but there is zero illumination. After turning the car off the clicking has continued and the battery has been drained. I have charged the battery before without this happening. I have checked the fuses but cannot locate the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,864 Posts
sounds like a sticking relay - POSSIBLY from sudden power surges -

try disconnecting the battery -
THEN charge the battery -
THEN reconnect the battery -

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. I will do that today and hopefully have it working this evening. I was thinking the power surge blew a fuse but that wouldn't cause the clicking sound. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like a sticking relay - POSSIBLY from sudden power surges -

try disconnecting the battery -
THEN charge the battery -
THEN reconnect the battery -
Thank you for your suggestion. You were right about the sticking relay under the dashboard. I followed you advice by disconnecting the cable and charging the battery. When I started the car the display panel came to life.

Thanks again

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,864 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion. You were right about the sticking relay under the dashboard. I followed you advice by disconnecting the cable and charging the battery. When I started the car the display panel came to life.

Thanks again
========================
always happy to hear a quick and simple FIX took care of the problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts