Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado Touring Coupe
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring coupe. For a while it has been turning over a few times before starting. Now, it will turn over but not start (I was able to start it while it was being jump started when the battery lost some voltage after trying to start it for a while. I'm thinking that since it does start, that rules out timing belt.) I'm getting good voltage with a new battery so I don't think that's it. Could it be the starter? I don't know much about cars but I am learning. I have worked on the northstar engine quite a bit (replaced coolant gaskets and alternator recently). One other thing, before turning the key: I can hear the fuel pump. It does sound rather loud. I don't know if this is normal or not, I hadn't noticed it before.

Any suggestions, please help! I love this car and want to get it up and running again.
Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,520 Posts
Re: 1998 cadillac eldorado. turning over but not starting.

Hello. I have a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring coupe. For a while it has been turning over a few times before starting. Now, it will turn over but not start (I was able to start it while it was being jump started when the battery lost some voltage after trying to start it for a while. I'm thinking that since it does start, that rules out timing belt.) I'm getting good voltage with a new battery so I don't think that's it. Could it be the starter? I don't know much about cars but I am learning. I have worked on the northstar engine quite a bit (replaced coolant gaskets and alternator recently). One other thing, before turning the key: I can hear the fuel pump. It does sound rather loud. I don't know if this is normal or not, I hadn't noticed it before.

Any suggestions, please help! I love this car and want to get it up and running again.
Thanks.
----------------------
I'm thinking that since it does start, that rules out timing belt.
ya that plus our engines have three timing chains - no belt -

I'm getting good voltage with a new battery
what is the voltage - key on - engine off -

Could it be the starter?
if the starter spins the motor -
probably not -

check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

---------------

also - check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail -

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Re: 1998 cadillac eldorado. turning over but not starting.

Weak fuel pump? Seems like it's taking time building pressure, and maybe a bad check valve that's making the system lose pressure while sitting. Check your fuel pressure as suggested above.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,121 Posts
Open the fuel filler - have an assistant turn the key ON. You should hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, then stop. Now have the assistant crank the engine - the fuel pump should again run and, as the engine comes up to idle speed and the key is released to the RUN position the fuel pump should stay running. The pump WILL stop if engine rpm goes below about 400 rpm any time after initial crank-start.

There's a test port on the fuel rail - covered by a black valve cap. Pressure tester rented from any large parts store. Key ON fuel pressure should be 41 - 47 psi. Running pressure is over 40. Check the FPR for leaks in the diaphragm - engine OFF, carefully remove the rubber vacuum connector. ANY gas in there ? Replace the FPR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts