Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m trying to picup another Eldorado.

The one I'm currently looking at is a 98, and has an oil pan leak and rear main seal (so im told)

Its a few hundred miles from my home, and I'd kinda like you guys opinion as to whether this sounds right, and how tough it is to fix.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
Engine (drivetrain) out of the car, inverted, new GM RTV oil pan seal replacement, transmission removed, special rear main seal puller/installer. Not for the faint of heart. Probably new flexplate, too. TCC solenoid. ??? Halfcase reseal ???? - the halfcase is the lower half of the engine/main bearing stud girdle.

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not intend on putting 2k into this car. I'm interested in buying it to re-sell it and make some $$.

True, I am looking for a 97+ETC but it has to be black on black w/sunroof.

I find one of those and I'd be willing to put that kind of time/money/work into it.

I was reading a few other threads on here that seem to imply that the oil pan (if the guy isnt lying to me) cam be removed from the car and resealed (no-one makes a pan gasket for it, must use RTV?)

It kinda sounds like I might need to pass on this one if I cant do the oil pan with it in the car....

And like I said, I havent even seen it yet, so knows what could REALLY be leaking.

----------

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,976 Posts
No it doesn't use a gasket but an RTV sealant. If you can get the vehicle high enough to disconnect the y-pipe from both manifolds, and remove the cross under pipe maaaaybe. But I'm doubtful. I'd stick to the GM service manual, fix it the right way and yank out the engine..

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats wrong with these?

RockAuto has the following:

1998 CADILLAC ELDORADO 4.6L V8 : Engine : Oil Pan Gasket
FEL-PRO Part # OS30704R PermaDry®
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] PermaDry® molded rubber Gasket. incl.
$9.59

VICTOR REINZ Part # OS32243 Material: Victo-Tech
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.]
$10.44

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # PG3154
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Set
$11.35

----------

What sub said, if you get it and decide to tackle the job, do a block test for HG, so if they're shot might as well fix that while resealing it
I'll prolly test for a bad h/g before I bring it home.... If it were the right car, I'd fix it. But since I'm just looking to start flipping with the hopes of building up $$$ to get the right one, I doubt I'll be pulling ANY engines that I dont have to.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
The OEM oil pan "gasket" is a formed silicone "O-ring" that fits into a machined groove in the pan rail. The new replacement procedure calls for an RTV bead at the pan and halfcase flanges - discard the seal - both parts are engine structural pieces and a "gasket" will not allow the tight machine tolerances necessary. Blow up this picture to see the pan seal groove.

............ the halfcase seal and oil distribution manifold plate seals are also formed silicone knife-edge "O-rings"

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,976 Posts

----------

I'll prolly test for a bad h/g before I bring it home.... If it were the right car, I'd fix it. But since I'm just looking to start flipping with the hopes of building up $$$ to get the right one, I doubt I'll be pulling ANY engines that I dont have to.
Remind me not to buy any cars from you

·
Registered
'93 ETC (N* 120k)
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I"m all about full disclosure, there is a certain subset of culture here that LOVES to get these cars for a cheap price and I can cater to "them"

If any car im looking to re-sell has major problems to begin with, im not buying it. i.e. h/g issues

----------

The OEM oil pan "gasket" is a formed silicone "O-ring" that fits into a machined groove in the pan rail. The new replacement procedure calls for an RTV bead at the pan and halfcase flanges - discard the seal - both parts are engine structural pieces and a "gasket" will not allow the tight machine tolerances necessary. Blow up this picture to see the pan seal groove.

............ the halfcase seal and oil distribution manifold plate seals are also formed silicone knife-edge "O-rings"
So, you wouldnt use a new seal? You would just use rtv in the seal groove? I'm confused

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
The approved GM halfcase/oil pan reseal uses the new GM RTV Gray or Permatex UltraGrey instead of the formed seal. My post says that.

It MIGHT be in the Technical Service Bulletin section of AlldataDIY.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
Thanks - and, FWIW, AJXTCMAN is still a (founding) CF member and is a working Cadillac dealership repair tech in NC. He also does ECM tuning work on the pre-1998 engine control modules. Much of his engine diagnosis work is rolled into the stickys in the Engines, Northstar Performance forum.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
913 Posts
Hey Sub,

I keep asking, why can't I see the images?

vBulletin Message
Sorry. You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Log Out Home

1 - 14 of 14 Posts