Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a brand of replacement shocks and struts for a 1998 Eldorado ETC. I would like to keep the electronic stability system if possible but the replacements are around $2000 without the labor costs.
Would there be less expensive shocks available that would eliminate the system and still provide a good ride?

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Arnott makes passive replacements. They are about half the cost of restoring the FE3 suspension. I would hate to give up the CVRSS. If you hunt you may find AC delco replacements in the $350ea. range. It seems there is just no cheap fix to maintain the FE3 suspension $3000 if your lucky.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
PM me your VIN (once my platinum dealer subscription status gets corrected later today)
or email me with your VIN - [email protected]
or call us (ad cube on the right) ----------------------------------------------------------->

we can get you decent pricing on the OEM/ACDelco parts

·
Registered
Cadillac Eldo and SLS
58 Posts
I'm looking at a pair of front struts with springs installed, new of course, $395 a pair. And the original air ride system works with these. go to suncoreindustries.com

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Follow up with Rippy, is probably your best option.
You can get the parts for close to $2000 maybe $2100 if you know somebody working for GM, they have I believe 18% discount.
That's how I got my struts 2 years ago.

Don't go aftermarket, you spend at least $1400 for WHAT?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,505 Posts
I'm looking at a pair of front struts with springs installed, new of course, $395 a pair. And the original air ride system works with these. go to suncoreindustries.com
No "air ride" in these cars. The rear shocks have bladders which are used for the rear Automatic Level Control only - it has no effect on ride.

Your struts, shocks and spring types are dependent on whether you have an active or passive suspension and whether the spring package is FE1 or FE3.

Enter your VIN into the "VIN to RPO converter" sticky post ^^^ to find your suspension type and spring package.

·
Registered
Cadillac Eldo and SLS
58 Posts
Sorry, no "air ride" my bad choice of words, let's say "original system". Here is the ad for them: $395 pair>>

The Cadillac Eldorado Struts brand new and are sold as a pair. This is a complete assembly. The struts come with everything you need for replacement on your Eldorado suspension. Your new Eldorado Front strut will perform just like the original Eldorado suspension you have become accustomed to. Our Eldorado struts come with a *Lifetime Warranty*. The struts bolt directly in place of your original struts without any vehicle modifications.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
How about the solenoids?
When you say "no modifications" you mean there is a connector and inside the connector is a bypass resistor, witch probably a lawyer can convince everybody that "without any vehicle modifications" is a valid statement but I as an engineer I would challenge the lawyer to prove me "perform just like the original ", or they do have the solenoid valves inside the strut?

What I want to ask:
Are the struts active or passive?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the Arnott rear shocks and picked up a pair for about $300 for the pair. They are the exact replacement type including including the plugin for the electronic stability. The shock maintains the air ride but contains a resistor to bypass the computer control. I'm having trouble getting one of them off with the top nut being frozen since they're the original shocks and the allen wrench opening starting to strip. If I have no choice but to cut off the nut, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've been soaking them with PB Blaster but it's still frozen.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,505 Posts
You're in the parts replacement business - cut it off or try a nutcracker.

......and it's not an Allen fitting - it's Torx.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the plan. My only problem is where to find a replacement nut for the shock. My local auto parts store doesn't have it.
As for being a Torx, I'll reconfirm.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That is NOT an exact replacement. Is just a look-a-like. You practically disabled your CVRSS/Stability, is a cheap temporary repair to prolong the usage of the car nothing more.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
if your looking to stay cheap in price and your shocks and struts need to be replace go with a used one if you can't afford new OEM

yeah alot of guys here see me always pushing for used parts when it comes to shocks and struts
well i am one who wishes to see all electronic suspension vehicles stay with the ride quality they came with so if you cant afford 700-1000 per corner new
and if they dont have an aftermarket OEM quality
then go used probably for 100-150 per corner

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
You do give up a pretty trick suspension system that in the day was only shared with a Corvette. The strut replacement cost is staggering at $500 to $700 ea. if you get lucky. Retail is closer to $750 to +$1000 each. Evidently Monroe has a has a fully functional active rear shock replacement for $400 a a set. Give Chris Heath at Rippyparts a call, it may very well be the best price out there.

·
Registered
93, 98 eldo, 91 allante, '67 GTO
45 Posts
If you need replacement rear air struts without the electronically controlled damping, Gabriel has a direct replacement part no.49254. Amazon price $117 a pair. I replaced the rears on my '93 with these even tho I have the electronically controlled suspension. The leveling control now works.

The listing is for a '97 to 2002 I believe, but they also direct fit the '93. My wife has a '98 so I was able to determine they are the same.

The '93 has 208K on it and the whole car is not worth the cost of maintaining the electronically controlled suspension.

Arnott has the same, is more costly but looks like they disable the error code for the electronic suspension.

As far as getting the nut off, try the following: wire brush the crud off the threads, then apply heat from a propane torch to warm up the stud and nut. Once it's hot enuf, apply some candle wax to the stud/nut interface to allow the wax to seep in. Don't laff; this worked on many frozen nuts/bolts for me.

I then used a angle grinder to grind some flats into the sides of the stud near the top so I could grab it well with a wrench or Vise-Grips.

The nut should then be able to be turned.

George

·
Registered
95 Eldorado ETC
1 Posts
Thumper speaks the truth. I have a 95 ETC, and can't always justify a dealer fix. Shocks, among other things, I can do myself.

It is OK to buy used parts.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
hey rippy just out of curiosity what is our discount percent do we get 10 15 18 20 percent ?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts