Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Eldorados interior is in great quality just the usual wear and tear but my passenger seat latch isn't in "locked" position. Everytime I put my hand on the top of the seat it falls. So basically the latch you pull for people to get to the back seats isn't working and it doesn't stay stationary. Can anyone help I'm having a roadtrip soon and its gunna bug the hell out of my passengers

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
You need a new seat recliner mechanism.

The cover to the seat back has to come off, the knob to the recliner removed to access the recliner.

Your best source may the salvage yard. You can try Chris @ Rippy, Gm may still sell them since the last eldo was an 02.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The seat cover has a funny latch type "mechanism" that keeps the seat covers over the foam.

At the bottom of the driver's seat back, you should "feel" how one part of the seat cover folds over the other to stay intertwined together. To get a better undestanding, pull up one of the headrests and feel underneath it. It's like a fold and unsnap type process.

Once you've "unlatched" the cover, pull it up over the foam of the seat back to expose the recliner mechanism. The recliner mechanism "usually" bolts on to the seat frame.

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked for the mechanism online and couldn't find any? They say on other forums to just find one at a junkyard? Do you know where to get one?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
In reality,

A salvage yard , isn't going to sell you just the recliner mechanism. You'll have to buy a whole front seat, UNLESS you find a pull a part and remove the recliner mechanism itself, yourself.

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
http://www.picknpull.com/
I had the '92 restored last year for body and trim on the East Coast before bringing it to Texas.
My reclining mechanism was broke also, The restorers had welded a bar to keep it in a fixed position.

I went to pick and pull and got the whole seat for $30. Take a battery jumper with to move the seat forward in order to pull it.

Then I replaced the seat bottom mechanism. Now I have have power reclining.
The seat and leather comes off easily.
Taz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts