Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am a new member to the forum posting my first message here.
Currenlty I drive a 98 Deville, love Cadillacs and owned a Fleetwood before this. Hope to have some photos up here soon. Looks like a great forum! Hi to all!

Questions:
98 Deville -Base model (no phone,CD player or stabiity control)
Recently I had my remote reprogrammed at a dealer and its probaby just a coincidence but the battery now won't hold its charge. Usually goes completely dead if I don't drive it for a day or two.
About a week or so before getting my remote reprogrammed I installed an OEM-like CD Changer that plugged right into the trunk and has been working fine (I mention it as possible culprit?)
Anyways, I own the GM 3 Volume Deville Sevice Manual but can't figure out the best way to diagnose this without having my dealer check it out (99$ hour labor seems like the standard in all these Caddy shops in and around NYC....can anyone recomend a shop in NYC area...10040 Zip?)

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this or any advise on shops in my area would be great.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
37 Posts
powerglide said:
Hello everyone,
I am a new member to the forum posting my first message here.
Currenlty I drive a 98 Deville, love Cadillacs and owned a Fleetwood before this. Hope to have some photos up here soon. Looks like a great forum! Hi to all!

Questions:
98 Deville -Base model (no phone,CD player or stabiity control)
Recently I had my remote reprogrammed at a dealer and its probaby just a coincidence but the battery now won't hold its charge. Usually goes completely dead if I don't drive it for a day or two.
About a week or so before getting my remote reprogrammed I installed an OEM-like CD Changer that plugged right into the trunk and has been working fine (I mention it as possible culprit?)
Anyways, I own the GM 3 Volume Deville Sevice Manual but can't figure out the best way to diagnose this without having my dealer check it out (99$ hour labor seems like the standard in all these Caddy shops in and around NYC....can anyone recomend a shop in NYC area...10040 Zip?)

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this or any advise on shops in my area would be great.

Thank you very much
Same thing is happening to me with my car it will go dead if i let it sit for a day or 2 without driving it. I took it to the cadillac dealer and they told me it could be my alternator, then i went to autozone and they checked it for free and its the alternator that was causing all this like loss of memory car would go dead no power. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greencaddy98 said:
Same thing is happening to me with my car it will go dead if i let it sit for a day or 2 without driving it. I took it to the cadillac dealer and they told me it could be my alternator, then i went to autozone and they checked it for free and its the alternator that was causing all this like loss of memory car would go dead no power. I hope this helps.
thanks so much!
You know, I recently noticed a high pitched screaming sound from the engine (like a jet) I was guessing it may be the powersteering pump going out (from where the sound was coming from.....hard to say) But a failing alternator might account for all these problem!

Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
powerglide said:
thanks so much!
You know, I recently noticed a high pitched screaming sound from the engine (like a jet) I was guessing it may be the powersteering pump going out (from where the sound was coming from.....hard to say) But a failing alternator might account for all these problem!

Thank you!
No problem, but its funny i got that same high pitch sound coming from the engine too and i think is the powersteering pump that has gone bad also. How many miles you got on your car???

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greencaddy98 said:
No problem, but its funny i got that same high pitch sound coming from the engine too and i think is the powersteering pump that has gone bad also. How many miles you got on your car???
update:
So I went to Autozone for the battery test and the alternator test. Both checked out fine......so I am still losing battery charge....

The high pitch souind turned out to be the AC Compressor (I think) I had read about these Devilles and their AC Comps before....so I tried truning the AC off to see if it would go away.
I DID NOT KNOW that the clutch on these AC Compressors don't click on and off like the old ones, but rather the clutch eases off slowly over time. Why's this important? Since the clutch does not engage/disengage instantly, turning the AC on and off isn't instant either. Basically long story short, I turned off the AC and parked it. When I came back the whining sound was gone. I think the AC cooled down and then disengaged the clutch while it was parked.....anyways so now I have 2 problems.

btw I HAVE RIGHT ABOUT 69500 MILES ON THE CAR

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
powerglide said:
update:
So I went to Autozone for the battery test and the alternator test. Both checked out fine......so I am still losing battery charge....

The high pitch souind turned out to be the AC Compressor (I think) I had read about these Devilles and their AC Comps before....so I tried truning the AC off to see if it would go away.
I DID NOT KNOW that the clutch on these AC Compressors don't click on and off like the old ones, but rather the clutch eases off slowly over time. Why's this important? Since the clutch does not engage/disengage instantly, turning the AC on and off isn't instant either. Basically long story short, I turned off the AC and parked it. When I came back the whining sound was gone. I think the AC cooled down and then disengaged the clutch while it was parked.....anyways so now I have 2 problems.

btw I HAVE RIGHT ABOUT 69500 MILES ON THE CAR
update 2:
The screeching noise continues.....I still thinks its the AC Comp. My car doesn't have a clear AC OFF/ON button (I think ECON means the AC COMP is off) so I will keep it in ECON and see what happens.....the sound was gone when the whole climate control sys was shut down.....but with the heater on (the climate control is on AUTO) the AC COMP comes on to dehumidify the car and the sound returned.
Electrical problem stopped when I started powering down the stereo before shutting down the car....I think the damned CD changer keeps spinning unless it gets the head unit is fully down for some reason.....maybe eventually I will rewire the remote lead.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts