Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got my '98 deville back from the shop (after $1700 in repairs) I have had this message on my dash for a while (Theft system problem-- Car may not restart) now, this problem has never really given me issues, but I feel like a potential buyer would be turned off by this. I talked to my mechanic and he said he checked the resistor's in all three of my keys, and it matched perfectly to the ones in the wire's. He said it's not causing the car to stall (which is the reason my car was in the shop, ended up being two crank position sensors). I'm just curious if anyone know's of a way to physically clear the message. Other than of course buying a new cluster, which the mechanic said I could do, but this message isn't causing any issues with the car mechanically.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The issue is most likely worn contacts in the ignition lock cylinder. You can either replace the lock cylinder, or bypass the system by installing a resistor (same resistance as the key) into the circuit. There are several more detailed threads on this. Search VATS bypass.

·
Registered
Deville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resistors in the keys were all checked *3 keys* and in the dash wiring, it's all the same. or are you saying something different than that? (sorry I'm new to this stuff)

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
What MC is saying is the wiring in column starts to fail to the key cylinder. No way to check it short of disassembly the column. Another thought is doeas the car have stock radio?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
More than likely Vats issu as MC posted. It is easy enough to bypass VATS with soldering iron, a tester and some resistors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts