Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it's been a long day and I haven't got anything solved..I would appreciate any help

I have a 98 Deville that is basically bottoming out. Originally I thought the shocks where bad because I hear the compressor come on every time I start the car. I bought these shocks

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Replacement-Rear-Air-Shock-(Pair)-Arnott-Industries_10017646-P_50_R|GRPSHOCAMS_____

So we got both rear wheels off, and where looking at the air hose lines and noticed the rear passenger one was completely cut. We then tried to follow the lines and seen where 2 lines went into the compressor connected by a clip. We then went back to the store and got a kit that came with a new line to go from the compressor to the shock. The new line didn't have the "nipple" end at the end that goes into the compressor as the stock one does. So we went back and got a kit to connect the lines back together. We ran out of daylight to even put the new shocks on, but after seeing the cut line we where pretty sure that was the whole problem.

I am lost now and don't even know if the new shocks will make a difference, but what else could it be?

There is only one line from each shock to the compressor, correct?

The compressor turns on every time. Could it really be the shocks too? Would they have been beaten down after being drove on like that for so long?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The compressor is supposed to run around 10-30 seconds after you start the car(or put the key ON). It should complete its cycle in under 10 seconds, or it would indicate a leak.

I don't think a malfunctioning ELC system will make the car bottom out with no load. It's either the springs are worn or shocks/struts themselves are bad.

Repair the factory line if you could. RockAuto lists an air line adapter kit, but I don't know if it is compatible with stock system. If all else fails you could probably snap the lines from a local salvage yard cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compressor is supposed to run around 10-30 seconds after you start the car(or put the key ON). It should complete its cycle in under 10 seconds, or it would indicate a leak.

I don't think a malfunctioning ELC system will make the car bottom out with no load. It's either the springs are worn or shocks/struts themselves are bad.

Repair the factory line if you could. RockAuto lists an air line adapter kit, but I don't know if it is compatible with stock system. If all else fails you could probably snap the lines from a local salvage yard cars.
I do have about 150lbs or so in the trunk at all times too. So that is what is probably what is helping it bottom out. I just went outside and took a stop watch to see how long the compressor ran. I turned the key and let it go for over 5 minutes before I stopped it..

I did repair the factory line that was visibly cut, but maybe we should look for more? I really didn't see anything though. It is only the 2 lines correct?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The two lines would likely be the major issue. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your shocks were shot for some time, the compressor may be bad as well. Pull your diagnostic codes to see if that's the case. There's a thread at the top of this forum section detailing how. Good luck man, I hope it's a simple problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two lines would likely be the major issue. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your shocks were shot for some time, the compressor may be bad as well. Pull your diagnostic codes to see if that's the case. There's a thread at the top of this forum section detailing how. Good luck man, I hope it's a simple problem.
What do you think could be the problem with the compressor? I hear it running

A bad compressor won't set a DTC.
Yes, there are no codes pertaining to this issue..unless it is just not showing up because the compressor is still good?

Thanks guys. I am about ready to just convert them to these.. www.strutmasters.com/Cadillac-Deville-Air-Suspension-Conversion-Kit-p/-cad-r4ns-dlx-d.htm

Oh ya, since I already have these http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Replacement-Rear-Air-Shock-(Pair)-Arnott-Industries_10017646-P_50_R|GRPSHOCAMS_____?SID=1ps6hdasrz148&cm_mmc=aff-_-cj-_-4169673-_-10711125 . If it doesn't work out, can I run manual lines to pump them?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Unless the ELC system blows the fuse, it won't set codes. Your ELC compressor and level sensor is still working so it won't set any codes.

With extra load in the trunk, the compressor will run a little longer but it definitely won't run straight 5 minutes. Sounds like it is not able to fill the air bladders. Are the air bladders filling up at all? Do you have air coming out of the lines when the compressor is working?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless the ELC system blows the fuse, it won't set codes. Your ELC compressor and level sensor is still working so it won't set any codes.

With extra load in the trunk, the compressor will run a little longer but it definitely won't run straight 5 minutes. Sounds like it is not able to fill the air bladders. Are the air bladders filling up at all? Do you have air coming out of the lines when the compressor is working?
Yeah, it would of gone longer than 5 minutes if I waited lol. We weren't sure if air would be coming out of the lines if there wasn't any load (The car jacked up) so we put the wheels back on and hoped for the best. Should we try and see if air is coming out of the lines next?

The air bladders you are referring to are part of the shock, right?

Thank you

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Yes, the bladders are part of the shocks.

If your compressor is functional, why are you considering non air assisted shocks?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
you really need to SLOW DOWN - find out if the compressor and ride-height sensor work - then decide what to do.

to me - it sounds like the compressor works as it should - but yes - check the line for air output.

Get the PROPER air line kit - and check out MONROE.com to see what is available for your car.

If you just get rid of the Electronic Level Control system - your Cadillac will NO LONGER ride like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've replaced the shocks and notice no difference. Do I have to reset the sensor somehow? If it is not the sensor, then is there a way I can check the compressor to see if it is faulty? Or what else should I be looking for?

Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear is still low. The compressor still runs, and we have checked everywhere for a leak even after replacing the line...

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
If you've sprayed all of the components with soapy water, and are sure there're no leaks, there's something wrong with the compressor.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Take off the air line end on the shock side, activate the compressor, stick the line end into water and see if any air is coming out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts