Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD Export (ex Japan RHD) + 1998 DeVille d'Elegance (ex Japan LHD)
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake pedal either won't release or releases very slowly (I even have to use my foot to lift it) on the vacuum system and when I release it manually it works like it's got a weak spring to pull it up?

It's only done 19750 ks (12272 miles) in it's 22 years! Could it be just to lack of use?

Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,576 Posts
Try some oil on the pivot points.
Check the vacuum diaphragm to be sure it is not leaking and has full vacuum.
If no help, you may have rust inside the cable sheathing.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD Export (ex Japan RHD) + 1998 DeVille d'Elegance (ex Japan LHD)
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try some oil on the pivot points.
Check the vacuum diaphragm to be sure it is not leaking and has full vacuum.
If no help, you may have rust inside the cable sheathing.
Yeah I was thinking all that. Thought the vacuum actuator might be stuffed but it's doing it on manual release as well. Also driving it today shifting into gear released it but it just didn't pop up, had to lift with my foot. Makes me think it's probably not a vacuum issue. There's not a lot of room for me to get at it as I'm not so slim (ha ha). I might get my mechanic mate to have a look at it. Thank you for your response.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,116 Posts
Exercise the parking brake - a lot. See if that frees it up. From now on, do it once a month if you don't regularly use it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exercise the parking brake - a lot. See if that frees it up. From now on, do it once a month if you don't regularly use it.
Been doing that a little bit but as you say it may require more effort on my part, cheers

·
Administrator
71,116 Posts
For an exercise in discomfort and patience control, get a good drop light and a pump oil can with long snout. Work your body into the driver's footwell on your right side. Light up the parking brake mechanism and slowly dribble oil down into the brake cable sheath. That sheath, and where it exits the body underneath the car, is subject to rusting and subsequent cable sticking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For an exercise in discomfort and patience control, get a good drop light and a pump oil can with long snout. Work your body into the driver's footwell on your right side. Light up the parking brake mechanism and slowly dribble oil down into the brake cable sheath. That sheath, and where it exits the body underneath the car, is subject to rusting and subsequent cable sticking.
Awesome thanks

·
Administrator
71,116 Posts
For this thread's 1998 Deville the parking brake mechanism and front and rear cables are discussed in the GM/Cadillac/Helm online service manuals at www.alldatadiy.com. Also in the GM/Cadillac/Helm "factory service manuals" sometimes available used, in paper, on eBay. Forget Haynes and Chilton - far too generic.

The paper manuals used to be available at www.helminc.com but they're now out of print - and originally cost over $300.00.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts