Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville with northstar engine
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had one of my crank sensors replaced and car started and ran just fine. Had oil changed and two rear tires put on the same day, different places. The next morning I started my car with the automatic car start and it started. When it turned off I tried to restart it and nothing. I went out to manually start it and all there was was a click. There is juice from the battery because the radio, lights and etc all come on. I put jumper cabels on and it started right up. Ran ok the rest of the day but noticed at night when it was really cold that the dash read "Battery not charging" but it was running and we made it home. Figured it was just due to the cold because other lights were stuck on like the ABS system and someothers. The next morning same thing 1 click and nothing. Bought a new battery nothing, but every once in awhile it will just start up, but still reads battery not charging and if I shut it off and turn back on then nothing. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,936 Posts
:welcome:

New battery and still no start? Are the cable clean and tight? What is the battery voltage? I've had bad batteries right of the shelf before. Might be worth having it tested. Have you pulled the DTC's?

·
Registered
Deville Concour
4 Posts
it could be your car might have what's called a parasitic draw. something is left on that you may not know and it's draining your battery. For example, a light inside the glove compartment is on when you shut the car off. Bad switch. The next morning, battery dead. it happens. It could also be your alternator is not recharging your battery. When you first start the car, the starter drains alot of energy from the battery, that's where the alternator comes to the rescue. You mention the crank sensor was replaced. If the computer does not see a signal from this sensor, the car wont start. Maybe the sensor is not lined up properly. What you could do is, start eliminating probable causes to fing the root. Start with a simple parasitic test. Well, i hope this might help you a bit.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DeVille
4 Posts
Hi, I have a 2000 Deville with the Northstar engine and I am having the same starting problem with the 1 "click" and then nothing. I was going to ask if you had ever solved the problem?? if so I really could use some information on what it might be. Thank you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,703 Posts
What is the battery voltage with the key ON and voltage selected in the DIC readout ?

Anything less than 12.0 and the battery is dead. It should read 12.5 - 12.6. (and how old is the battery ?)

·
Registered
03 DHS, 2008 DTS
148 Posts
What is the battery voltage with the key ON and voltage selected in the DIC readout ?

Anything less than 12.0 and the battery is dead. It should read 12.5 - 12.6. (and how old is the battery ?)
Sorry guys don't intend to hijack the thread but i was wondering is this chart for every battery or its specific for our caddys.
because i bought a new battery for my explorer and the voltage reads between 11.8 and 12.3 after turning on the engine.
thanks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Any 12 volt automotive battery.

If the voltage is that low with the engine on, there's a charging system problem.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,703 Posts
Once more, with feeling........

The alternator/voltage regulator in automobiles designed as a daily driver is set to about the following sequence, regardless of car or battery:

Key:ON = battery voltage of 12.4 - 12.56 volts ideally
After START: The voltage should ramp up to 14.4 - 15.0 or so and stay there for some period of time as the battery charges. You cannot see it without a dedicated in-circuit ammeter, but the charging amperage ramps down as internal battery resistance builds and the battery approaches full charge. At very close to full charge the voltage will ramp down to 14.1 - 14.6 or so and stay there while amperage output drops to just that required to carry the loads in the car at that time - change something (headlights ?) - and the amperage will ramp up to carry the load again. Turn off the lights and amperage again drops.

It's all magic. Think of it this way: To get the car to go up a hill takes more power: You press the gas pedal and up you go - get to the top and you ease off the pedal. The alternator system operates the battery charging system and battery exactly the same way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts