Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille and 1962 4-window Sedan de Ville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is Torsten from Germany, and I got myself a really great 1998 Cadillac DeVille some 2 years ago. The car is in excellent condition and had pretty low mileage when I bought it. However, as I use it every day, it has a bit more now... ;) - Anyway, still a great car, and I love it!

Now only recently I got hold of an OEM CD changer by Delco Electronics, same age (manufactured in 1998, too) and as well in excellent condition.

Unfortunately, I am afraid there is no preparation in my car, to build in the changer. So I am attaching a few photos of the radio as well as the changer and hope that some of you guys can help me.

Anyone knows what sort of harness, cables or plugs I need to connect the two items?! - Is it possible at all?! - I truly hope so as the car 's owner manual reads you can connect auxiliary devices to the radio.

Thank you so much for your great help and support - and please feel free to ask any questions or additional details. :)

Cheers,
Torsten
Gadget Multimedia Font Plastic Electronics accessory
Circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering Machine
Gas Font Auto part Machine Box
Gas Machine Font Electronics accessory Metal
Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Brand Label
Audio equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Gas Computer hardware
Output device Gadget Gas Audio equipment Computer hardware
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Font Gas Bumper

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,883 Posts
You need to communicate with the techs at Crutchfield in Blacksburg, Virginia.

You will receive far more input if you post in the FWD Deville forum in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to communicate with the techs at Crutchfield in Blacksburg, Virginia.

You will receive far more input if you post in the FWD Deville forum in the future.
Thank you very much - that sounds very helpful... :)

Actually, I thought of posting the topic in the forum you suggest - however, as it is clearly about audio, I thought this here might be the right one..
Is there any way of re-porting / copying the topic over there!?

Thank you very much and talk to you again soon. :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,517 Posts
Hi all,

This is Torsten from Germany, and I got myself a really great 1998 Cadillac DeVille some 2 years ago. The car is in excellent condition and had pretty low mileage when I bought it. However, as I use it every day, it has a bit more now... ;) - Anyway, still a great car, and I love it!

Now only recently I got hold of an OEM CD changer by Delco Electronics, same age (manufactured in 1998, too) and as well in excellent condition.

Unfortunately, I am afraid there is no preparation in my car, to build in the changer. So I am attaching a few photos of the radio as well as the changer and hope that some of you guys can help me.

Anyone knows what sort of harness, cables or plugs I need to connect the two items?! - Is it possible at all?! - I truly hope so as the car 's owner manual reads you can connect auxiliary devices to the radio.

Thank you so much for your great help and support - and please feel free to ask any questions or additional details. :)

Cheers,
Torsten
View attachment 607679 View attachment 607680 View attachment 607682 View attachment 607681 View attachment 607678 View attachment 607683 View attachment 607685 View attachment 607684
==========================
ASSUMING your car does NOT have the BOSE audio system -
that radio should work - BUT - as soon as you plug it into your car and turn it ON -
it WILL be LOCKED -
these radios all have the THEFT-LOC system -

the first time the radio is turned ON - it gets "branded" with the car's VIN number -
after that - EACH time the radio is turned on - it compares the recorded VIN to the current VIN -
IF they match - the radio will play -
however - IF the VINs do NOT match - the radio is LOCKED and will not play -

to UNLOCK the radio - you must use the TECH2 scan tool - there is no other way -

-----------------------

the 1998 Deville was pre-wired for a 12 disc CD player mounted in the trunk -
the CD player gets mounted on the RIGHT side - the plug is tucked away in the right - upper corner -
it's hidden - and will be hard to find - but it IS there -

the 12 disc CD player you got - ACDelco 16220776 - will NOT work in your car -
it came from a Corvette or an Oldsmobile or a 1997/98 Cadillac Catera -

there were a few different models of the 12 disc CD player -
while they all LOOK identical - they are wired differently -
I know - STUPID! unfortunately - TRUE -

the ONLY 12 disc CD player that WILL work in your 98 Deville is ACDelco 16199553

and NO - the CD player is NOT part of the THEFT-LOC system -
it will be plug-n-play when you get the correct part number -

·
1993 Deville
48 Posts
that radio should work - BUT - as soon as you plug it into your car and turn it ON -
it WILL be LOCKED -

the first time the radio is turned ON - it gets "branded" with the car's VIN number -
after that - EACH time the radio is turned on - it compares the recorded VIN to the current VIN -

to UNLOCK the radio - you must use the TECH2 scan tool - there is no other way -

-----------------------

the CD player gets mounted on the RIGHT side - the plug is tucked away in the right - upper corner -

the ONLY 12 disc CD player that WILL work in your 98 Deville is ACDelco 16199553

I always thought it was interesting how many manufacturers put the anti theft bs in their radios. Most people didn't want the factory deck anyway. Or maybe since I wasn't around during the 90s, I don't know how big of a problem radio theft really was.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,883 Posts
Actually, most OEM vehicle sound systems are perfectly fine for 95% of drivers/owners. One of the advertisements for Bose used to claim that their sound systems (home, theater, automobile) were voiced to reproduce acoustic unamplified music in a natural space.

Thus a problem with today's "music" and thumpity-bumpity sound systems -

Rectangle Yellow Font Circle Number

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it WILL be LOCKED -

-----------------------

Hi basscatt,

Cool - thank you so much for providing so much information... :) Great to see there is real "pros" around here on this platform; obviously, I correctly assumed this would be the situation... :giggle:

No worries about the radio - the one on the photos is anyway my "parts storage" only! :) - But I have the same one mounted in my car and fully operable - and for sure, after reading what you wrote, I will not even think about disconnecting it... ;) :D

The only bad news is the one about the CD Changer - any idea where I could get such one from?! - One with the correct part no., I mean!?

I am not really annoyed about the one I already have - it was $50, you see... - However, at the moment, I cannot really find the one you describe on eBay or so... - Any other place where I could look?!

Thank you so much again - looking forward to your news. :) - Sorry, by the way, for replying back so lately; I had a very busy week... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Torsten

1 - 9 of 9 Posts