Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1998 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new to owning a Cadillac and for the most part have been able to enjoy the ride but the HVAC issue is driving me crazy.

When I start the car most times, the temp selection (normally on 70) will either go all the way to 90 or down to 60. Sometimes the Fan Speed with go all the way up or down, and sometimes both the temp and the fan speed will change. When I got the car, it had this problem and it also had an obvious issue with the steering wheel controls as hitting volume up might change the station or hitting the temp might change the fan speed. So, my first thought was the buttons were shorting out, so I removed them from the steering wheel by unplugging them from their harness but I am still having the issue with the HVAC, but no longer with the radio. So, hopefully with your help, I can get back to really enjoying my car again.

Current Codes
P0603 - History - Caused by battery disconnection.
B1552 - History - Caused by battery disconnection.
B2510 - Active - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google says "Steering wheel HVAC controls stuck"
B2515 - History - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google says "Steering wheel illegal resist value"
C1226 - History - Wheel speed sensor circuit (Likely the cause of my Traction Control warning every drive)
C1255 - History - EBTCM Internal Malfunction (The cause of my ABS light coming on intermittently)
C1283 - History - Excessive time to center steering (ALLDATAdiy says to deal with C1226 first)
C1552 - History - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google says the non vehicle specific definition is "C1552 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set."
C1558 - Active - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google seems to think this is a bad MAF sensor.

If anyone has better information on the codes above that would be wonderful.

Things I have done since owning the car in case anything here may help with diagnosing the problem:

1) Replace water pump.
2) Oil Change
3) Replace the dash cluster board that shows the speed and info. Just replaced the board to keep from having to program.
4) Replaced the HVAC control cluster in the dash.
5) Air Filter
6) Throttle Position Sensor

I believe that is it. If there are any questions I am more then happy to try and answer them. Please know that an answer of "Time to go to the shop" is neither helpful nor an option, I am broke lol. This will either get fixed, or it will drive me mad, but I can not afford a shop and prefer to do my own work when possible.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,210 Posts

·
1998 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to CF !!!

Your last 2 "C" codes are incorrect.

A cam sensor code is a P code. So is a MAF code, but that ^ one does not exist.

And here's the codes from a different site.

Thank you! And you are absolutely correct, it looks like I made a mistake when scribbling them down. I went and got a new list which I have below:

P0603 - History - Caused by battery disconnection.
B1552 - History - Caused by battery disconnection.
B2510 - Active - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google says "Steering wheel HVAC controls stuck"
B2515 - History - Not shown in ALLDATAdiy but google says "Steering wheel illegal resist value"
B1319 - History - Sunload sensor short circuit (I have my top dash panel off and the sensor is laying on the dash)
C1226 - History - Wheel speed sensor circuit (Likely the cause of my Traction Control warning every drive)
C1255 - History - EBTCM Internal Malfunction (The cause of my ABS light coming on intermittently)
C1283 - History - Excessive time to center steering (ALLDATAdiy says to deal with C1226 first)

So, not much changed except the sunload sensor. I still show a active code for what google seems to think is the steering wheel hvac controls being stuck but as I have removed them where do I go from here?

·
Administrator
67,210 Posts
Without the steering wheel buttons in place (the button options as programmed into THAT car's PCM and sound head unit) the DTC system continues to monitor and report on the fact that something's wrong - in your case, they're missing.

·
1998 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without the steering wheel buttons in place (the button options as programmed into THAT car's PCM and sound head unit) the DTC system continues to monitor and report on the fact that something's wrong - in your case, they're missing.
Ok, when they are in place, they appear to short out and change the radio stations and volume. That stopped when I removed the controls but the HVAC problem did not. So lets assume the HAVC problem was not caused by the steering wheel controls. What then would I be looking at for the car changing the temp and fan settings on its own? Happens at startup and occasionally while driving.

·
Administrator
67,210 Posts
I'd get to a junkyard and pull several switch panels from some 1998 - 1999 Devilles - same configuration - and swap them in and see what happens. You could be looking at anything from the switches themselves to the connectors to the steering column wiring.

There are lots of other connectors and wiring in the column, as well as the steering position sensor and SIR clockspring. Be careful.

·
1998 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd get to a junkyard and pull several switch panels from some 1998 - 1999 Devilles - same configuration - and swap them in and see what happens. You could be looking at anything from the switches themselves to the connectors to the steering column wiring.

There are lots of other connectors and wiring in the column, as well as the steering position sensor and SIR clockspring. Be careful.
Alright, so we are believing this to be a short from the controls on the steering wheel? Just verifying so I am going in the right direction. Beyond the steering wheel controls (Removed) and the dash HVAC controls in front of the steering wheel (which I replaced with a used unit), are there any other modules or boards that have the ability to change the temp settings? I know the passenger side has a control but that is just a 10 degree difference on their side and does not control the actual temp setting.

Also, are there any particular spots I should check first before taking apart the majority of the steering column covers and whatnot?

Btw, I really appreciate your help. A lot of really stupid things have happened because of this issue and my frustration. It is around 90-100 here in GA most days and my car likes to turn on the heat while im driving. It is upsetting to say the least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same problem with my 1997 Deville. I am getting an IPC code that when looked up,says"steering wheel controls stuck" pulled a set of sw controls and installed them, but no difference. Going back to pull a few more sets to see if there is any difference. Did you find a fix? If so please Help!!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,913 Posts
Having the same problem with my 1997 Deville. I am getting an IPC code that when looked up,says"steering wheel controls stuck" pulled a set of sw controls and installed them, but no difference. Going back to pull a few more sets to see if there is any difference. Did you find a fix? If so please Help!!
==============================
you CAN carefully open up the actual switches and inspect the inside connections for dirt/corrosion/broken parts -
OR - you might need to pull the air bag and inspect the switch harness for chaffed/broken/shorted wires -

·
Registered
3 Posts
you CAN carefully open up the actual switches and inspect the inside connections for dirt/corrosion/broken parts -
OR - you might need to pull the air bag and inspect the switch harness for chaffed/broken/shorted wires -
I pulled the air bag and replaced the originals with a jyard set. I'll try the disassembly of the original set, which I saved and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the original switches, so I disassembled them and all looked good under the magnifier. No burnt capacitors on mini boards and no broken parts. As I said before, I installed a second set of SW controls and get the same IPC B2510 code Could the IPC be the problem? I know that there are two boards inside, as I have had to replace the front board with the LED screen attached when LED screen failed in the past. The AC controls on the dash seem to work fine, and can override the gremlins, so I am beginning to think that the Air Bag needs to come off again and wiring inspected for damage as you noted . Any other suggestions would be appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts