Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,I HAVE A 1998 CADILLAC SLS that is having a few problems and i need help ASAP,My 1st problem is it will not start up it will turn over but wont start.My 2nd problem is all of my lights do not work such as dashboard lights,headlight,and sun visor lights.My 3rd problem is some how my emergency brake is locked and i was told it will not release unless it is started up then it will disengage.can someone please help me i really want this car running thats in advance...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
1st problem is it will not start up it will turn over but wont start.
Check your fuel pressure.

3rd problem is some how my emergency brake is locked and i was told it will not release unless it is started up then it will disengage.
There is a manual release handle above the parking brake. I think it is yellow.

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for that info,but how do i check the fuel pressure?and how much would it cost to replace?

·
Registered
97 ETC
84 Posts
Is this something that just happend over night? Check all your fuses also. If you dont have a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure as Ranger said then make sure you hear it running. I would get a friend to turn the ignition key to run and not crank while you listen to the gas tank for the fuel pump. I use a funnel and stick into the gas tank filler neck. You should here it run for 2 to 3 seconds.Have the person turn off the key and wait 20 seconds and try again..if you here it then 75% chance its not the pressure. If you dont here anything use a rubber mallet and smack the bottom of tank and repete the key on test again.

Also check for codes stored...if all your fuses are good and you hear the pump running use a spark tester from any of the parts store to check for spark..this little tool is about 6 to 7 bucks..
http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-5085...=cse&utm_term=LIS50850&utm_campaign=nextag_r1

These are just things off the top I would look for...let us know what you find..
Good Luck

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this something that just happend over night? Check all your fuses also. If you dont have a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure as Ranger said then make sure you hear it running. I would get a friend to turn the ignition key to run and not crank while you listen to the gas tank for the fuel pump. I use a funnel and stick into the gas tank filler neck. You should here it run for 2 to 3 seconds.Have the person turn off the key and wait 20 seconds and try again..if you here it then 75% chance its not the pressure. If you dont here anything use a rubber mallet and smack the bottom of tank and repete the key on test again.

Also check for codes stored...if all your fuses are good and you hear the pump running use a spark tester from any of the parts store to check for spark..this little tool is about 6 to 7 bucks..
http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-5085...=cse&utm_term=LIS50850&utm_campaign=nextag_r1

These are just things off the top I would look for...let us know what you find..
Good Luck
hey thanks and i will do that,but what fuses would control the dashboard and headlights? im fairly new so sorry if im being a pain.... and yes it did happen over night i drove home and parked it then the next day all the lights werent cominng on and i noticed my car was overheating before the lights stoped working..

·
Registered
97 ETC
84 Posts
So are you saying that all your lights are inop? And this happend at the same time as overheating?Well i usally never say never but I would be surprised if the dashlight and headlamp fuses went out same time.I would still check them and the fuse block in on the driver side strut tower. There is a cover that you open and there is also a fuse guide to help find the correct one and thats also a relay block too...get a test light and check all of them.I would go over all the grounds also...How hot was you engine when you shut it off?

Do any of your warning lights and or your SES light come on when you turn the ignition switch on?

You need to check weather you have codes stored and if you have fuel and spark...

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Check your fuel pressure.

Not sure did he post if he heard the fuel pump at all ?
make sure the fuel pump is priming and running if thats not then don't bothe to check the fuel presure check the relay and fuses first
if the fuel pump is runing then go for the fuel pressure

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
So are you saying that all your lights are inop? And this happend at the same time as overheating?Well i usally never say never but I would be surprised if the dashlight and headlamp fuses went out same time.I would still check them and the fuse block in on the driver side strut tower. There is a cover that you open and there is also a fuse guide to help find the correct one and thats also a relay block too...get a test light and check all of them.I would go over all the grounds also...How hot was you engine when you shut it off?

Do any of your warning lights and or your SES light come on when you turn the ignition switch on?

You need to check weather you have codes stored and if you have fuel and spark...
not sure about the headlamp or dash light fueses where they are i think the headlamp is under the hood

but the Fuel pump fuses are under the back seat in the seville

so for them both to go bad at the same time id wondering what els might be wrong
im no expert but i just went threw this with the fuel pump 2 weeks ago

also have you repetdly tried to start the car to the point where the battery may have died if its bellow 9 volts i think you wont get any dash lights not sure about the headlamps
will it crank does it try to start ?
does the MSG center even light up any power to anything can you unlock and lockw ith your remove
cause my batter died after all the trying to start when my fuel pump died and
i know i had no power to the cluster dash or headlamps
so make sure you didnt just run it dry

also don't jump boost under the hood if you have cables what will reach best to go to the battery under the back seat to jump start the car or you may have electrical issues latter on

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

yes all lights are inop.and it didnt happen when it was overheating it happend when i shut car off and left it over night,and no SES lights come on..

·
Registered
97 ETC
84 Posts
yes all lights are inop.and it didnt happen when it was overheating it happend when i shut car off and left it over night,and no SES lights come on..
As Pup stated I would get a charger on the battery and make sure its charged up...you may want to take it out and go to a parts store have them check it and charge it for you.

Have you looked at anything else we suggested sir?If your battery is down or dead then wait till you know its good before you do anything else. When you remove the battery check all your cable ends as they become a issue over time...

·
Registered
'94 Eldorado '83 Fleetwood
223 Posts
I suggest before doing anything hard or expensive you check all of your fuses and circuit breakers. First check the ones under the hood. Then check the ones in the back in the trunk or under the back seat. Someone else will have to provide details on where they are located if you need help finding them. After you know your fuses and breakers are all working get your engine running. Considering your electrical problems, check for power to your ICM with ignition on. I think the power feed connector is pink. (might be wrong on color). Check for fuel pump working (see above)

I also suggest you obtain a FSM before attempting to track down electrical problems if you don't already have one. Check Ebay

Good Luck.

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Good Luck
yes i hear the fuel pump when its turned on,so i know that it works now so thats a good sign now to check the fuses i just need a spark tester right?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,437 Posts
i cheked but i dont see a release for the ememgency brake
Move the driver's seat all the way back and get a good flashlight. Crawl into the driver's footwell on your right side. Up in front of the parking brake mechanism, above the release solenoid, there's a black trip tab (yellow on later models) that releases the mechanism ratchet. You MAY have to reach under the driver's side door - under the car - to grab and pull the parking brake cable. Those sometimes freeze up in their casing. Not fun to replace.......but it can be done.

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i did i checked the fuses and a couple were blown,and i checked the fuel pump to make sure it was working as i was told by you and it worked,now i found out my battery is bad and it was completly dead so i took it to autozone and they charged it and tested it and said it was bad,so i took it home and plugged it up to car and it gave a little more effort to crank so im hoping its just the battery what do you think?and thumper pump said if its under 9 volts it wont start and im guessing thats the case thats at hand,but still looking for answers..

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,145 Posts
yes i hear the fuel pump when its turned on,so i know that it works now so thats a good sign now to check the fuses i just need a spark tester right?
That just means that the pump is running. It does not mean that it is putting out enough pressure to run the engine. You need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check the pressure so you can rule out a fuel supply problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts