Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first got it, I took pics, but not many and not good quality. Now I have 14 pics with a good camera. The inside was freshly detailed, but the outside was washed a few weeks ago, it could use a good wax. Keep in mind that I got this car for $1500 with a blown head gasket and I have about $2500 total in the car.

Inside:

No flash

Exterior:

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
thats a really nice caddy i wish i could find a diamond in the rough like that....but you can go to walmart and get some 3m plastic polish and it will make those lights good as new in about 10 mins.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Is that interior completely factory? I have never seen the seats and door panels with different materials.

I also love the black/black which I why I just bought a black/black STS. Good deal though!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that interior completely factory? I have never seen the seats and door panels with different materials.

I also love the black/black which I why I just bought a black/black STS. Good deal though!
Yeah, as far as I know that is the original interior. I am the third owner, and I can't see the previous owner getting the interior changed.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts

The SLS has that patterned inset stuff from the factory. The STS has perforations in those areas instead.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
thats a really nice caddy i wish i could find a diamond in the rough like that....but you can go to walmart and get some 3m plastic polish and it will make those lights good as new in about 10 mins.
Bad idea, Sanding is a bad idea too UNLESS you apply a SEALANT as well. There is a complete kit with multi-grit sandpapers, polishing compound AND a sealer at Advance Auto for 20 bucks that will protect them after you shine them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad idea, Sanding is a bad idea too UNLESS you apply a SEALANT as well. There is a complete kit with multi-grit sandpapers, polishing compound AND a sealer at Advance Auto for 20 bucks that will protect them after you shine them.
Yeah that was always a problem with the Mark VIII's. I did that to mine, but it clouded again, I guess because I didn't seal it.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Guess I'm lucky, I polished mine with Mothers Mag Wheel polish about 3 years ago and they have been fine since... sealer wasn't required for my car.

Is the sealer a wax or a paint?

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Guess I'm lucky, I polished mine with Mothers Mag Wheel polish about 3 years ago and they have been fine since... sealer wasn't required for my car.

Is the sealer a wax or a paint?
I dont know, its a compound of some sort. The foggy headlights thing is a really big issue here in FL and theres a company that actually goes out and does them on-site for you because its such a big money maker, they seal them when theyre done working out the haze.

In the midwest and north the haze issue seems to happen alot more slowly then it does to us here in FL. Oddly enough I dont hear of alot of California or Arizona cars having the problem, so it must be a combination of sunlight, heat, bug damage and salt/humidity in the air here.

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Re polishing: Wash your car with a dishsoap detergent to get all the crap off of it. Buy a CLAY BAR kit & use a car soap solution as a lubricant....clay bar the paint. DON'T drop the clay bar on the dirty ground! Rinse the car off, as you go

Get either Carnuba wax- ( no cleaners) or Bees wax for a first polish. Then lightly spray ( from a spray bottle ) drinking water and buff again dry with a soft cloth, to 'set' the wax.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
just go to walmart and buy the 3m plastic polish....its takes 10 mins and you dont have to do anything else when you are done.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I sanded down one light with 1000 grit sandpaper and I used 3m buffing compound on it. I had decent results with it, much more clear, but I think it could use some more polishing. The light was pretty bad, spider cracks all through the top layer.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dunno about that plastic polish, this has some pretty deep cracks in it. I could probably use the sand paper to get the cracks out and then use the polish to clear em up.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I dunno about that plastic polish, this has some pretty deep cracks in it. I could probably use the sand paper to get the cracks out and then use the polish to clear em up.
Yea that 420 guy doesnt know what hes talking about,but I cant stand doing shit over again. Sand them down carefully taking care not to "burn" the plastic, and THEN if you want use the polish, but make sure it gets a sealant of some sort or being in TX it will not only happen again, but grime and dirt will get in and it will be even worse. In some cases they are so pitted and cracked youve gotta replace em, but man it raises the value of your car by 3 times the cost of the parts.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Black interiors are my fave !

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
Yea that 420 guy doesnt know what hes talking about,but I cant stand doing shit over again. Sand them down carefully taking care not to "burn" the plastic, and THEN if you want use the polish, but make sure it gets a sealant of some sort or being in TX it will not only happen again, but grime and dirt will get in and it will be even worse. In some cases they are so pitted and cracked youve gotta replace em, but man it raises the value of your car by 3 times the cost of the parts.
to say i dont know what im talking about when you dont know me and most likely have never used 3m yourself makes no sense to me...it works and it is quick and fast i wouldnt give him bad information for the sake of being heard...its really personal preference when it comes to polishing lights.

there are people that have never really done it before...so they make a afternoon out of it...so you sand it down first with 1000grit and then 1500 and then step up all the way to 2000, then polish it out.

then you have the people that know what they are doing and they use a rotary pad of some sort and they just squirt the goop and on buff it right out and call it a day 10 minutes later.

mother,meguiars or the vastly superior 3m its all the same deal....but dont let anyone tell you they dont work....these are tried and true methods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts