Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,188 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

Did you do the alternator work or did someone else? You need to double-check the alternator wiring and electrical connector as well as make sure the battery cable terminals are clean and tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to CF !!!

Did you do the alternator work or did someone else? You need to double-check the alternator wiring and electrical connector as well as make sure the battery cable terminals are clean and tight.
I did it my self. But it's 3 wires and the red one does it go to the bettery or to the starter some where i am not sure i know the cable wire from the battery goes to the back of the alternator on the screw on part but where does the red wire go out out the 3 wires from the alt?

I. Did the alt on my 97 cadd seville but when i changed alt from the 3 wires the red wired was lose with nothing hanging on it just like xlean cut and i am confused. ... I know from the ,bettery the big wired goes behinh the alt but the red wired ? Confused

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,188 Posts
You need the charging system electrical schematic for THAT car/engine.

Subscribe to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com - the online GM/Cadillac service manuals - with all electrical diagrams and troubleshooting trees.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
774 Posts
Yes, get a FSM to confirm wiring.

Basic alternator design:
  • primary charging wire is large guage and directly connected to the battery or common junction point
  • case grounded to engine block
  • sense wire to show charging voltage
  • control wire to control output voltage
  • Ground and possible power wire for the control board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts