Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my Mom just bought a used STS which has a few problems. First the PO says that the car will run out of gas at 1/4 tank left, and we keep getting moisture in the back up lense fogging it up. Is there any remedies to thewse problems and are there anything we need to be on the look out for??? Thanks in advance :bonkers:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I dont know about the fuel monitor problem (chalk that up as a Cadillac-ism), but for sure the only best fix for that light is either to replace the whole assembly, or very carefully separate the lens from the rest of the assembly, and reseal it tightly. Someone can probably chime in with exactly what the material is that is needed for a good tight seal.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You could use any sealant, RTV would probably work real good.......

The fuel thing is weird.... Does the gas guage read fairly accurately??? I might try unplugging the battery to see if it sort of resets itself....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Heres whats happening with the light. The seal from the plastic lense to the housing is most likely fine. Breaking the seal will be VERY tedious and probably screw it up more. The seal where the bulb socket goes into the light housing is most often the culprit. Eventually you will see rust residue in the bottom of the bulb socket and eventually it will short and give you a fast blinking bulb on that side-usually drivers side on these Sevilles. You change the bulb it still blinks fast-you scratch your head and change all the bulbs on that side-it still blinks fast. Bottom line change out that socket or at least make some kind of a new gasket and your water mist in the light will go away. Take the light off and take it inside overnight and in extreme cases a little warm hairdryer air in it. Reinstall it with a new socket and you'll likely have that problem gone. The fuel gauge is going to need someone (you ?) with a shop manual and some patience.

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
I have a '97 STS.

I've heard of tail light lenses fogging. One solution I've heard
use to fix it is to drill a very tiny hole in the base of the light
housing. Apparently that'll ventilate it enough for the mositure
to evaporate.

I don't have a clue about your gauge but I can tell you that
I just filled my tank the other day when it was VERY VERY low
and ended up squeezing in 22.347 gallons of gas!

..rickko..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the lense fixed..... The gas gauge whenever it gets down to 1/4 tank the needle goes to full. Therefore my mom thinks I have filled up her car and runs out of gas.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, I'm vouching for the few holes in the bottem.. I even think GM Technicians do this. About the Fuel Sender / Remaining fuel.. somewhat common problem, I've seen it on the forums and I'll search for it later.

Ohh, and you might get a visit from the WOT fairy.. she'll say to put it in 2nd and run it to redline a few times. To blow out carbon and free the rings.

(Anybody notice how contagious that info was?.. 6k Cadillacs gunning it on the On/Off ramp..lol)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just purchased a 97 STS last week ( :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: Woo Hoo ) It has both of the problems listed in this tread.
My fuel gauge goes to full at about 1/4 tank. I assume that mean's a bad fuel gauge sender (my 65 Corvair had this problem). how hard is it to get the sender out ?
And the rear lenses have a fog in them in the morning. Also the right lense has rust and it blinks real fast. I will check the sockets tonight.

Jim

P.S. Should I really run the car WOT for a little ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts