Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My grandpa has a 97 Seville SLS, and when your driving down the road and hit a bump the body will bounce up and down until she settles. From research on this site I think it's the front struts that are shot. I think they're active struts with some sort of electric assist. Basically I just need to know what can I put in there to bypass that electric crap. He's not concerned about getting the electric assist and he's quite the cheapskate, so anything that will work and be safe will be fine. Thanks for any help guys.

Chad

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
There are all kinds of passive shock/strut systems to choose from. There's Arnott, I think even AC Delco has a passive system for our cars. Sure beats paying over $800 per shock/strut.

Run a search for "Passive shocks", or "Passive struts".

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
You can get passive struts on ebay for about 300 a pair( several sellers with them) , like someone else said sure beats 800 per..

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the Arnott replacement struts with a lifetime warranty on them. Anybody try these? They are $330 for the pair and come with the resistor to plug in so the computer is fooled. I've been reading you can just go to radioshack and get the same thing for a couple bucks. Where can I find just the struts without the resistor?

Thanks for the help guys.

Chad

·
Registered
2001 SLS, 1997 STS, 71 Eldo
76 Posts
The first time I switched to Passive struts on my 97 sts I paid $300 for one of those Kits. But YOu don't need to spend that kind of money.

You should beable to find the Passive struts alone for around $100 for a pair, and the rear shocks, you can go with the generic Air, or just go with a regular shock, Making the conversion parts aren't all that difficult

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Seville SLS
22 Posts
I ended up buying from Arnott last year through eBay......not sure if they still have a store there, but they offered a discount from their regular prices. I paid less than $500 for a complete set of struts and air shocks, plug right into the factory harnesses and air lines, look stock and perform great. Not to mention the warranty. I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw those, they have them online for $300 for the pair. But through searching the forums I always see people post that you can get them at autozone for $100 for the pair and just get the resistor at radioshack. I guess I just want to know where to get just the passive strut, or what vehicle has the right passive strut that will mount right up? On Autozone's website they just sell the electronic assist ones. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2001 SLS, 1997 STS, 71 Eldo
76 Posts
For my 2001 SLS, I got a pair of Deville Struts for it off a Store on ebay for $68 for the set and used them on my SLS. I didn't need the Resistors for the SLS, but I had to used them on my STS and the Radio shack ones work fine

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I checked for the replacement '97 Deville struts and they all say they have the electric assist. Anybody know what other vehicle and year I can just get the struts for that would fit my '97 Seville SLS?

Thanks again.

Chad

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
I found the Arnott replacement struts with a lifetime warranty on them. Anybody try these?
Chad,

I have the Arnott struts on my 1996 Seville STS. They work just fine. I replaced all four struts at once which is probably the best way to go. I've had mine a little less than a year now.

Video with these struts installed. I run 18" rims on them as well. 16's are in this video:

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I guess I'll just go with the Arnott replacements. Nobody else knows where to get just the struts, not the kit thing? Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

Chad

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
I'd like to know also.

(Although I have asked people for this info in like 5 different posts of this type and no one ever responds...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a "sticky" at the top of the page that has a lot of comments in it regarding strutmasters and similar setups. I purchased the front & rear Arnott setup myself a couple of years ago, because I wanted to keep the rear self-leveling suspension. The nice thing about the pre-assembled setup is besides not dealing with spring R&R, you get the new upper mounts at the same time, which you probably need......along with new springs, which don't hurt. At your mileage, the spring isolators are also probably questionable for re-use, so all-in-all, not bad.

·
Registered
none
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I went with the Arnott kit. I wanted to get a jump start on removing the struts because the new ones are coming tomorrow. 2 things. I'm working off of the guide arnott has on their website. The stabalizer link is giving me trouble. I've removed the nut but the link won't come out the other side. Any suggestions? Don't want to start wailing on it with a hammer but if that's what it takes. Also what is the position sensor and where do I find it? '97 Seville SLS is what I have.

Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
22 Posts
The stabilizer link is tapered slightly, like a tie rod or ball joint. A sharp blow will release it easily. Just don't damage the threads ;)

I assume you are talking about the position sensor for the suspension? There is a small rod with nylon ball joints that connects the A-arm to the position sensor at the front end of the wheel well.

Have fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts