Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1997 ETC
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First off, I'm new here but you'll be seeing me more often (hopefully just with curiosity rather than a significant problem).
I've looked through the threads and can't find what I'm looking for. So apologies if this is already answered:
Are there any noticable differences in Northstar bolt failures between the two models? I understand that it's the same engine in both, but that doesn't always mean an engine will perform the same just based on the differences between the models it's powering.
I'm purchasing another ETC ('97), and I'm slightly concerned about the bolt failures. My previous '93 ETC was at 260k before I developed any kind of coolant issue, and that was just running hot. I was hitand the car was totaled before it reached any kind of failure, so I've never really experienced it.
I'm asking because I don't know if one model is more stricken than the other, or if there's any difference in frequency at all.
I've read a lot of things stating that strict coolant flush schedules, along with frequent oil changes, have a major preventative impact on the bolt problem- is this true?
And finally, how much is it to go the replacement route with the studs?
Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,028 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

Regardless of the FWD model - Seville, Deville, Eldorado - each used the same powertrain from the Livonia engine plant. The 2000 and later engines are roller cammed and have far less problems with head bolt thread failure, particularly from 2002 on. Coolant maintenance - every 3 years or so - is important. Frequent oil changes have nothing to do with head bolt thread failures and are really a waste of money and resources. Any of the Northstar engines will easily go 5,000 - 10,000 miles between oil/filter changes. Follow the OLM - it's uncanny how good the system is at predicting remaining oil life. The powertrain in each car is identified by the 8th character of the VIN - a 9 is the 300 hp 3.71 final drive performance package; a Y is the ~275 hp 3.11 final drive highway economy package. A well-used pre-2000 Northstar WILL have some degree of cam follower and lobe wear due to the flat tappet follower design.

Look at our non-scientific poll in the Engines; Northtar forum - in the sticky for head gasket failures. Read all the stickies in any forum of interest 2- timeless info. ("Sticky" - timeless necessary info in the threads at the top of a forum page marked with a push pin.)

1997, 8, and 9 were the worst years for cylinder block head bolt hole failures. Porosities and corrosion were the main causes for the bolts pulling out.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
And finally, how much is it to go the replacement route with the studs?
That will vary greatly, depending on who does it. Anywhere from about $2200 at Midwest Cadillac Repair in Palatine Ill. to about $4000 or more at a dealer. DIY - probably less than $1000 in parts, if you have the time, tools and knowledge.

·
1997 ETC
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick answers. The Mercedes Benz forum usually takes a day or two for any informed replies, so this is definitely a step up.

·
Administrator
71,028 Posts
We have a dedicated group of heavy hitter gearheads in the FWD Northstar vehicles forums.

Do a Google search for "cadillac forums northstar coolant purge line". (The "overheating" thing.)

You can find anything in this website with a Google search, always preceded by "cadillac forums ...... ...... .....".

·
1997 ETC
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Will do- it's always nice to have a well known engine (be it good or bad, though I personally loved my N*) when scouring the internet for Q&A.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome. Will do- it's always nice to have a well known engine (be it good or bad, though I personally loved my N*) when scouring the internet for Q&A.
I've got a 1995 ETC with 330,000 plus miles. No issues of any kind. Ive got a 2005 STS 4 with the 2nd generation Northstar with over 220,000 also with no issues. Both have regular maintenance and oil changes. I love the performance and reliability of these engines. I was taught to always take regular care and maintenance of all my vehicles. I also change all my fluids at 50%. My cars are more to me than just transportation from point a to point b.

·
Administrator
71,028 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! We hope you enjoy continued good service from your vehicles. Yes, dedicated service and maintenance is high on the list for vehicle longevity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely. It starts with quality and regular maintenance mechanically. I used to every Spring do 8 steps to prepping the exterior before waxing. Now, I've added ceramic coating. Now, every 6 months, I've only got to wash the car and reapply the ceramic coating. Its harder than wax, shines more deeply, prevents oxidation and fading of the paint. I also deep treat the leather seats as I wash the car. I then return the car to the driveway. Again I treat the leather but with excess. I close her up tight and let the treatment get absorbed in deeply by the heat from the sun. My seats are butter soft and look like new. Both my Cadillacs, the 95 ETC with Northstar and my 2005 STS 4 with 2nd generation Northstar are show cars. Both do exceptionally well at Cadillac sponsored shows as well as General Motors National shows as well as the smaller shows. All because of simply doing regular maintenance mechanically, interior and the body. Small effort, hugh returns. And the bonus is a darn good looking car with a deep shine and a ride that can't be beat. If you're lucky, you'll have a model, and model with options to make it a rare beauty to boot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts