Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Need some help with my Caddy if you please.

So the right channel is louder then the left one on any source. I'm listening to the music with balance adjusted to about the middle between center and full left. The strange things are:

1. This situation was always there since I've bought my car but it became worse with time. Like two years ago I had to adjust the balance on like two clicks left. Now it's a bit more closer to full stop left rather than the middle.
2. It disappeared already BUT sometimes (like with no reason once in a week or so) it played equally from both channels!
3. It seems (!) for me that the left channel is weaker in mid and high frequency sounds but I may be wrong here.

My question is: what would be the simplest way to figure out what causes the problem without disassembling half of the interior? Oh and I can't just go and buy parts on eBay or junkyard to try out — the delivery would take like 2-3 weeks and cost like another part to buy. So I must be pretty sure on what should be replaced.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
Balance, volume, and treble/mid/bass preamp output is controlled by either fine wire potentiometers or electronic stepper controls. It sounds like the balance control is going bad (not uncommon in home stereo gear). I have no idea of the fix - automotive sound system head units are pretty much one-piece affairs - all on one, two, three circuit boards, so to replace a balance pot/stepper might be a REAL electronics chore.

Another possibility is an intermittent cable connection - wiring output for each channel, HU to amp(s).

When it's all set up and apparently working correctly do you get the same frequency response from each speaker set ?

See if a good local autosound shop can offer any real advice.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Are BOTH left (f & r) speakers low?
If I recall, the '97 had the amps on each speaker and are known to go bad with age...but BOTH going bad at the same time is a long shot.
I almost bought a mid '90s Eldo that had all four amps dead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Balance, volume, and treble/mid/bass preamp output is controlled by either fine wire potentiometers or electronic stepper controls. It sounds like the balance control is going bad (not uncommon in home stereo gear). I have no idea of the fix - automotive sound system head units are pretty much one-piece affairs - all on one, two, three circuit boards, so to replace a balance pot/stepper might be a REAL electronics chore.

Another possibility is an intermittent cable connection - wiring output for each channel, HU to amp(s).

When it's all set up and apparently working correctly do you get the same frequency response from each speaker set ?

See if a good local autosound shop can offer any real advice.
“Electronic stepper controls” in my case, right.

“Intermittent cable connection” — thinking of measuring the voltage in amps power supply...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are BOTH left (f & r) speakers low?
If I recall, the '97 had the amps on each speaker and are known to go bad with age...but BOTH going bad at the same time is a long shot.
I almost bought a mid '90s Eldo that had all four amps dead.
Have just checked — front only! Seems like one amp is dying. You are right, got separate amps for each channel.

The one I've bought was without any Bose amps and HU at all :/ Previous owner installed some shitty Pioneer with a touch screen :cookoo:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not each channel, but each speaker.
If the rears don't have amps, Rube's been in there.
So I assume you don't have the stock radio?
I mean each of four channels :)
Rear also got amps.

And I, of course, I do have the stock radio. Previous owner replaced all the speakers and the HU, god bless he didn't guessed to remove the sound unit behind the rear seat. So I've removed all that shit and bought all the original speakers and HU from eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts