Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It would leak from the belt side because of the o ring. That oring should be a bitch to put on. I had to stretch mine to get it onto it's mount. Be sure to take some sandpaper to the oring groove, to make sure it's smooth to press in.
What about if the O ring felt a lil lose or big should I buy another one or is their times that it comes a lil big? Will sanding it make the trick it just feels is to big and no need to stretch like every one mentioned?

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
111 Posts
Is it the original oring? Replace it if so. Can't hurt to replace it if it came with the new pump, either. Loose is no good for a gasket

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
Yeah, that O ring groove looks like it needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will be buying a new gasket and cleaning the the area really good Thank You guys I will be updating

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
There's a newer upgraded water pump cover and gasket in the field.

old-new WP covers.JPG

water pump capsule.jpg

Pulley and tensioner (Notes).JPG

·
Registered
2010 dts
12 Posts
Just an observation, why would you use a torque wrench to loosen a bolt -- unless you were checking the torque on a fastener you just installed. Also, when done with the wrench loosen the pressure on it, set the torque below lowest value. Second thing, when you spent all this time and trouble to remove a component don't you think it is worth the several extra time to ensure that the sealing area is clean and not damaged and the extra few dollars to replace the old seal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey their guys update ended up getting a new gasket witch fit better put the new water pump in and still same leak after I took Everything apart sealed was in place so I decided to put the old pump on and left the new sealed notice the leak was minor and not like a little stream like before but still a leak any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
I hesitate to say this, but when I replaced my WP I had some minor seepage as well. I could smell, but not see it. After two attempts to reseat it, I broke down and violated my own rule and used 4 Barsleaks sealant tabs. That sealed it and even after a coolant change, it has not leaked to this day. This might or might not work for you, depending on the leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I hesitate to say this, but when I replaced my WP I had some minor seepage as well. I could smell, but not see it. After two attempts to reseat it, I broke down and violated my own rule and used 4 Barsleaks sealant tabs. That sealed it and even after a coolant change, it has not leaked to this day. This might or might not work for you, depending on the leak.
I see at first it was a lil stream now is a lil drop going on, Did you add it to the reservoir? You mention 4 barsleaks tablets?

·
Administrator
69,835 Posts
Prior to 2006 the assembly line used to add 3 crushed tablets of cooling system sealant in order to prevent nuisance assembly line weeps and subsequent dealer comebacks. There was a sticker on the radiator sight shield that referenced tablet use. BUT it was discovered that continued use of the tablets at coolant exchange time causes clogging of small coolant passages, the heater core, and the purge line. Tablet use was discontinued by a GM/Cadillac TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in 2006.

Tablets (crushed) or powder is added to the lower radiator hose - DO NOT put them in the surge tank. NOT !!!!!

There were tablets and a powder - identical. Made by Bar's Leaks - tablet is # HDC and powder is # G12BP. Any parts store.

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
The surge tank is a very low flow area. If you put the tabs in the surge tank they'll just sit there. As Sub said, NEVER in the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Prior to 2006 the assembly line used to add 3 crushed tablets of cooling system sealant in order to prevent nuisance assembly line weeps and subsequent dealer comebacks. There was a sticker on the radiator sight shield that referenced tablet use. BUT it was discovered that continued use of the tablets at coolant exchange time causes clogging of small coolant passages, the heater core, and the purge line. Tablet use was discontinued by a GM/Cadillac TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in 2006.

Tablets (crushed) or powder is added to the lower radiator hose - DO NOT put them in the surge tank. NOT !!!!!

There were tablets and a powder - identical. Made by Bar's Leaks - tablet is # HDC and powder is # G12BP. Any parts store.

You mentioned the lower hose correct that will be were the thermostat hose?

·
Administrator
69,835 Posts
That's correct - our thermostat faces the lower radiator hose and the wax pellet is acted upon by the circulating heater and block coolant passing through the water pump cover plate.

Here and Post #25 -

Thermostat and cover diagram.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you so much for your reply I will be updating you on the process hope it sealed this small leak.
Hey their so I added the powder drove it 16 miles on freeway left it running checked the area by the belt were the leak was and was dry no sign of leak. I have a question what is normal temperatures of coolant and what’s to worry I always seen it at 206f never any higher today I notice while going on freeway it went up 213 I had the heater on at 90 degrees high just in case. I will be letting it cool down by tomorrow I’ll be checking coolant level to top off.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,425 Posts
Good idea to check coolant level, make sure it's at the full cold mark (halfway up the tank).

Temperatures vary based on operating conditions. At this time of year you should see as high as 220s, maybe even 230s. Fans on LOW at 224, Fans on HIGH at 236.

Temperature cycling on my 96 would often look like so:

213 --- 215 --- 217 --- 221 --- I would hear the fans kick on --- 217 --- 215 --- 213 --- Fans kick off --- 213/214 --- 215 --- 217 --- 221 ---- Fans on --- and so on and so forth. Temps may climb a bit higher if you'd doing some spirited driving or you're sitting in stop and go traffic.

Fans do not operate above 30 mph, at that speed airflow coming from the front of the car is sufficient.

Fans are always on below 30 mph when the AC is on.

·
Administrator
69,835 Posts
I have a question what is normal temperatures of coolant .......
Our Northstar thermostats are set to begin opening at 188 and fully open at 206. A Northstar with the cooling system in good condition will run at about 190 - 215 all day every day when fully warmed up. The engine does not overheat until about 270 and was designed to run for 50 miles with NO coolant. The pressure cap raises system pressure as the coolant warms and expands - this raises the boil point and assures "solid" coolant at the centrifugal water pump.

Note that the 50/50 mix line is out of sequence .........

Coolant Boiling point.jpg

I monitor coolant temp in real time using a ScanGauge-II. Also watch IGN (timing), IAT (Intake Air temp), and MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) at the same time.

SGII_GA-01-00.png

21 - 38 of 38 Posts