Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey there I happen to have a 1997 Cadillac Deville I went ahead and purchased a tool for the water pump brand Leslie it ended up breaking the little teeth from the tool and stripping some of the inner parts of the water pump which it doesn’t grab on with a new tool to remove I’ve been doing this with a torque wrench and a tool itself Water pump looks really corroded and stuck any ideas?

I went ahead and bought a Leslie tool to remove the water pump it ended up breaking his little teeth for the tool and I believe made some damage inside the water pump and grind it a little bit of the side so now it’s hard to keep the tool in place it actually wobbles I was using a regular torque wrench and a Leslie tool I ended up getting the OEM tool but it’s not gripping on and it slips the water pump looks corroded and stuck any ideas help?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
Hey there I happen to have a 1997 Cadillac Deville I went ahead and purchased a tool for the water pump brand Leslie it ended up breaking the little teeth from the tool and stripping some of the inner parts of the water pump which it doesn’t grab on with a new tool to remove I’ve been doing this with a torque wrench and a tool itself Water pump looks really corroded and stuck any ideas?
=====================
question - are you turning the tool in the correct direction?
--------------
quite often it takes a couple blasts from an air operated impact gun to break the pump loose -

I went ahead and bought a Leslie tool to remove the water pump it ended up breaking his little teeth for the tool and I believe made some damage inside the water pump and grind it a little bit of the side so now it’s hard to keep the tool in place it actually wobbles I was using a regular torque wrench and a Leslie tool I ended up getting the OEM tool but it’s not gripping on and it slips the water pump looks corroded and stuck any ideas help?
====================
your other - identical - thread lists your car as a 1997 Deville -
this thread lists the car as a 1987 -

which is correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
=====================
question - are you turning the tool in the correct direction?
--------------
quite often it takes a couple blasts from an air operated impact gun to break the pump loose -
Yes turning it clockwise towards the windshield if that's correct?
Haven't tried the air impact gun will get back to post thank you for reply Basscatt

====================
your other - identical - thread lists your car as a 1997 Deville -
this thread lists the car as a 1987 -

which is correct?
1997 Cadillac deville

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
956 Posts
A better tool will have trapezoidal teeth that will keep the tool locked in. Use a pick to ensure nothing is stuck in the old pump.

Tool should be turned clockwise. I don't recommend a torque wrench as excessive pressure beyond standard range can screw up the calibration. Standard socket wrench with a pipe extension for additional leverage should do the trick.

(Pipe extension is my quick go-to when I'm too lazy to breakout the compressor and impact gun)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
2 identical threads have been merged and cleaned up.

The Lisle #14440 flimsy stamped water pump sockets just don't cut it. Either rent a good one from a parts store or buy it yourself - ~$100 or so. There should also be a retainer strap that bolts over the socket once it's in place.

The pump assembly locks into the crossover with 73 lb/ft of torque, counterclockwise.

Water pump socket gif.jpg

Water pump socket-strap.gif

If no joy after all this, you're in the water crossover removal business.

water crossover gaskets.gif

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
As someone who has just removed a water crossover.... Get ready..... That wiring harness does have some play, and you'll need to move it multiple times to get access to all the bolts. The back bottom two stay in the crossover until you pull it off.

I hope you own some ratcheting wrenches with swivel heads, or a bunch of extensions with a wobbler

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
I'm with Bass. A couple of short bursts from an impact gun will usually do the job better than increasing torque from a breaker bar, even with a pipe extension, but you must use a GOOD water pump socket. The Lisle socket won't cut it on one that is stubborn.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
On the same subject, how freely should the water pump spin in it's mount? Should it be able to turn on its own, or does it require a minimal effort to spin it?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
As with any ball bearing, the water pump should turn easily with a comfortable viscous feel. Not tight - "greasy".

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,816 Posts
Water pump issues are rare. If it doesn't leak, than it's probably ok.
Sub's descripter is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A better tool will have trapezoidal teeth that will keep the tool locked in. Use a pick to ensure nothing is stuck in the old pump.

Tool should be turned clockwise. I don't recommend a torque wrench as excessive pressure beyond standard range can screw up the calibration. Standard socket wrench with a pipe extension for additional leverage should do the trick.

(Pipe extension is my quick go-to when I'm too lazy to breakout the compressor and impact gun)
...I'm simply here lurking, but are you guys saying the water pump bolts are reverse thread .... instead of righty tighty ... it's righty loosy?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,816 Posts
There are no bolts. The pump simply is held in/on with tabs, and sealed with an O ring.

·
19,658 Posts
...I'm simply here lurking, but are you guys saying the water pump bolts are reverse thread .... instead of righty tighty ... it's righty loosy?
====================
there are no bolts used to retain the water pump -

the entire water pump is a "bayonet mount" -
put it in place - and turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE to lock it in place -

OOPS - Harry beat me

·
Registered
10 Posts
====================
there are no bolts used to retain the water pump -

the entire water pump is a "bayonet mount" -
put it in place - and turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE to lock it in place -

OOPS - Harry beat me
Thats kinda really cool ... I'm an electrician not a mechanic ... but what a novel idea ... does it make the job way easier?

·
19,658 Posts
Thats kinda really cool ... I'm an electrician not a mechanic ... but what a novel idea ... does it make the job way easier?
===================
does it make the job way easier?
sure - unless it's stuck or corroded in place -
THEN a 20 minute job becomes an 8+hour job -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
You still have to remove a few bolts on the WP cover to access the pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys so got the Water pump with an impact put it back on and the O-ring looked a little loose not sure if I was OK ended up putting it all back in and it’s still leaking from the same place it first started with any ideas what could it be and why is it doing it the side that it was leaking was on the water pump belt side the bottom put some pictures for idea ? Help

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
74 Posts
It would leak from the belt side because of the o ring. That oring should be a bitch to put on. I had to stretch mine to get it onto it's mount. Be sure to take some sandpaper to the oring groove, to make sure it's smooth to press in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts