Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 De Ville Sedan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo Yet ANOTHER thing has broken on my car since I got it almost a year ago now. As I was going over one of the MANY speed bumps in my apartment complex (which I go over rather slow because my shocks on my car STINK) I hear a loud BANG and my trunk opens.When I get to the back of the car I notice the Motor that is mounted inside my trunk that my door latches onto has split in half so now there is nothing for my trunk to latch onto. (I have noticed the part is about $60) I am not that mechanical about going to a junk yard and pulling one to replace it. So I am asking is there anyone here that has that part laying around (It doesn't have to work, just as long as it is in one piece) I am not looking for the motor to work I am just looking to replace the piece so my trunk will stay closed :-(

Since the pull down motor was not working before ( I didnt even know it did that until the latch broke) so I dont need a working part just a complete one (maybe your replaced yours and still have the broken one laying around) Please let me know.

If not: Can someone tell me what I need (tool wise) to take one off at the junk yard and I will try and go there :-/

Thanks for anyone that can help

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
Can someone tell me what I need (tool wise)
to take one off at the junk yard and I will try and go there

I would guess a basic set of metric wrenches - and/or sockets would do nicely -

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
It's only 3-4 bolts holding it in, somewhere 10-13 mm if I remember. A few sockets and a rachet and about 10mins if you dork around to get it out. Alot of salvage yards will pull the part for a few extra bucks...

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
when I was a kid I pull the parts off my car first then go to a junkyard so I know I had the tools but basic socket set and wrenches can be bought cheep and are well worth the 50 or so bucks for hf version just 1 job normally re-comps the cost

now a days got mostly craftsmen and mapco but you do not need the most expensive to start

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I always pulled the parts off junk yard cars first so that I could figure out on a junk car first and wreck something on my own. You can never go wrong getting parts like that if you just bring in a couple screw drivers and small sockets.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I would recommend trying to find a working pull-down motor and repair it the way it was supposed to be.
I suspect yours broke from repeatedly slamming the trunk lid shut (since the pull-down doesn't work). These trunks are designed to be closed gently until you hear the click of the latch. The pull-down takes it from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts