Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have just joined this site and have a couple of questions that I cannot seem to locate on the web, surprisingly! I am one of the best googlers/researchers and am stumped! No photo blog, nothing! I have even scoured the original owner's manual to no avail. My husband is planning to install a wood grain steering wheel in our 97' DeVille, I am trying to figure out how many bolts the original steering wheel has? The steering wheel requires a hub adapter and I want to make sure I do all my homework before placing an order.

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated!

The steering wheel we are interested in is: Universal 6 Bolt 345mm Deep Dish Steering Wheel Heavy Duty Gold Center LightWood

The only hub adapter I have located that is compatible with our vehicle is: MOMO Steering Wheel Hub Adapter Cadillac Jeep GMC Olds (boy are these things pricey!)

Well, enough rambling, I hope someone has some advice for me! :)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I have some advice might save a life... Don't do it. Airbags are your friend.

The wheel is attached with one center bolt on a splined shaft IIRC.

There were wood wheels available on certain models and years but I'm not sure what years interchange bit I've never seen this era deville mentioned that I can recall.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts

The wheel is attached with one center bolt on a splined shaft IIRC.

There were wood wheels available on certain models and years but I'm not sure what years interchange bit I've never seen this era deville mentioned that I can recall.
==============================
absofrigginlutely!!!

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts

·
2004 Deville base
288 Posts
http://www.apsisusa.com/Steering Wheels/CADILLAC/Deville/Deville Steering Wheels.htm

Your insurance co. will thank you, and cover a claim vs having a battle on your hands. Loss of airbag is considered a 'total' and 'un-insurable' if not replaced. Most insurers. I would call them to be sure. What if someone 'other than you' is driving?
Can of worms.

That said, Grant and Momo are the 'bigger' adapter suppliers. Then the ebay stuff.

·
1997 Deville base
42 Posts
Is it so easy to pull a steering wheel from a junkyard deville? I see there's a specialty tool steering wheel puller required on the removal guide, is disconnecting the SIR difficult? Do you need to disconnect passenger side as well, or any other connections for that matter? Ahose wheels at apsisusa.com look very nice~

·
Registered
382 Posts
It is not that easy without a proper removal tool, especially with the steering wheel having been in place for a few decades, but I've done it. I've also damaged one trying to get it out but did get it and on another occasion have left disappointed without getting one out. My neighbor lent me his removal tool the last time I went to get one but once I got there the tool didn't seem compatible for what I needed it for. The SIR is just a self-explanatory tab connector but stand to the side while removing it. Unfortunately even the older steering wheels used "bonded leather" which if you've ever seen a couch made out of that, you can tell it's junk by the fact that it flakes in a year. Finding a steering wheel in nice condition in the junkyard is sort of rare. Been looking for a blue one for mine and wanted to do a blue headliner and carpet.

For the OP; maybe this stock Cadillac steering wheel would work, maybe not. Others may know better than me as I'm not familiar with the later cars. At least the car would be safer. I don't know what kind of inspections Texas requires, but if a fairly stringent one car won't pass without the air bag. https://www.ebay.com/itm/153460591867

·
Registered
746 Posts
Texas inspection does a obdII check for emissions codes and a general inspection of brakes, lights and mirrors plus whatever the low paid inspector can see as to whether all of the original safety and emissions are installed per law. Most don't find the old stuff as they can't recognize it even if it was installed.

Result is lots of old cars with deleted stuff.

I would say, the default is, in Texas, for really old cars, if you are able to keep it running that long and it's not blowimg soot, the brakes work and the basic lights are there , congratulations, you get a pass.

·
1997 Deville base
42 Posts
Texas inspection does a obdII check for emissions codes and a general inspection of brakes, lights and mirrors plus whatever the low paid inspector can see as to whether all of the original safety and emissions are installed per law. Most don't find the old stuff as they can't recognize it even if it was installed.

Result is lots of old cars with deleted stuff.

I would say, the default is, in Texas, for really old cars, if you are able to keep it running that long and it's not blowimg soot, the brakes work and the basic lights are there , congratulations, you get a pass.
Can absolutely second this on texas inspections, especially true in the Houston area. Now if only the cops would crack down on the unlicensed unregistered lawn crew trucks and trailers everywhere.

·
Registered
746 Posts
And this little example of cars might contribute to the thesis on why the middle class and their companies are fleeing California to places like Texas.

Don't Mess With Texas

(Had to get that of my chest ;-)

·
1997 Deville base
42 Posts
And this little example of cars might contribute to the thesis on why the middle class and their companies are fleeing California to places like Texas.

Don't Mess With Texas

(Had to get that of my chest ;-)
It also makes for swangas stickin out a good 14" on each side! :histeric: slabb.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts